1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Does anyone have any experience with these older "furniture" looking stoves. i see posts routinely on CL and often wonder how they work, they seem to weigh a ton. Not sure when these were made, but they all seem to have the same Georgian style, panel look. Example:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/hsh/4172141702.html

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    I don't really think of a Garrison as a furniture piece, the Garrison II actually works very well due to the way the air intakes are designed, it was different from other stoves in the late 70's to early 80's.

I restore them from time to time and I admire the craftsmanship put into some of these older stoves, some were truly ahead of their time.
  3. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
  4. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Yuck, montgomery ward Franklin style stove, those can go to the recycle pile. I would maybe pay $20 for one to use as an outdoor firepit.
  5. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  6. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Personally, I prefer the parlour style. I like to see the fire, even if it's through little mica windows.

We had one of those enamel coated "wood heaters" (looks a little like furniture, a little like a furnace) in our garage when we bought our old house. Gave it to our contractor.
    Dave A. likes this.
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Gonna slip this over to the "classics" forum. If you are looking for real world info - dat be da place.