Old Time Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Does anyone have any experience with these older "furniture" looking stoves. i see posts routinely on CL and often wonder how they work, they seem to weigh a ton. Not sure when these were made, but they all seem to have the same Georgian style, panel look. Example:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/hsh/4172141702.html

I don't really think of a Garrison as a furniture piece, the Garrison II actually works very well due to the way the air intakes are designed, it was different from other stoves in the late 70's to early 80's.

I restore them from time to time and I admire the craftsmanship put into some of these older stoves, some were truly ahead of their time.

Personally, I prefer the parlour style. I like to see the fire, even if it's through little mica windows.

We had one of those enamel coated "wood heaters" (looks a little like furniture, a little like a furnace) in our garage when we bought our old house. Gave it to our contractor.

Reactions: Dave A.
Status
Not open for further replies.