Q&A Old Timer Woodburning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am looking for any information about an "Old Timer" brand wood burning stove. It is cast iron with large tear-drop shaped wood knobs at the end of the door handles. The front of the stove has a casted picture of a barn or house and I think some hay stacks. It was sold in Mt. Vernon, IL in the late 70's and early 80's. I have found some literature on it, but what I need to know is if that brand of stove was a tested and approved (ULC) stove. Please reply to [email protected]

Answer:

I've heard of the brand. It was around late 70's and early 80's. I doubt that it was UL listed, as most stoves were not required to be at the time. If there is no label on it, and the literature does not mention it...then that is most probably the case. It should be safe to use the stove, but use NFPA standards (available from your local code official or at the link below) as the installation guidelines.

Link: NFPA 211

Status
Not open for further replies.