Old tires are great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makers Mark

Dec 14, 2013
Southern Appalachian
Just put new tires on truck,saved a couple in case cut sidewall, etc. on new ones. Read in forum about putting them around round using for splitting Holy Smoke I can't believe how good it works. No more picking up and sitting back up splits for next stroke. Wow wish I had done this yrs ago. I love this forum!!!

Give the other two to somebody that has an outdoor wood boiler. ;lol

Reactions: D8Chumley and Jags
Can't they are like me rode hard and put up wet. Lol

Give the other two to somebody that has an outdoor wood boiler

Whoosh!

Just put new tires on truck,saved a couple in case cut sidewall, etc. on new ones. Read in forum about putting them around round using for splitting Holy Smoke I can't believe how good it works. No more picking up and sitting back up splits for next stroke. Wow wish I had done this yrs ago. I love this forum!!!
My bud drives racecar I got a tire about A foot tall from him 15" rim size holds em nice

Question for all you tire-choppers: what size tire (in terms of wheel diameter) do you prefer? My initial thought was to protest that the tire is always the same size while the rounds vary, but I guess a precise fit isn't so important.

My round that I split on. 16" tires fit it like a glove.

I did the same thing last month. New tires on my truck and I kept the old ones. I used 1 for wood splitting. Holy crap that works great! I can't believe I split wood for so many years with out a tire. In all honesty, I think I cut my splitting time in half. What a great tip I learned from this forum.

I use a low profile 17" tire. I think it's 215/45R17. It's a nice rim diameter to fit most rounds. The tire width is nice to hold all the splits without interfering with the path of the axe.

I'd need a monster tire to try this. I've got 30" douglas fir rounds to split. I'm going to try bungee cords around them, which should be better than nothing.

I'd need a monster tire to try this. I've got 30" douglas fir rounds to split. I'm going to try bungee cords around them, which should be better than nothing.
don't you put a bunch of smaller ones in the tire? Not just 1 big one,,,,, ??

Maybe, I think it can be done either way. If the round is big enough to nearly fill the tire, it should work the same I would think.

You can put one big one or 2 medium or several small ones and just walk around splitting them. It's amazing how great it works. I had a huge pile done in no time. Like Ansky said holy crap!

I use a 15" tire. The most of the logs I cut up fit in fine. Any thing bigger I really done want to pick it up anyway. Using a tire is so much quicker than a hydraulic splitter.

I think living the Pacific Northwest, the tire trick isn't going to work well. Most of the wood available here is douglas fir and cedar, which comes in much larger rounds than would fit in a tire. Maybe if I ever score some madrona I can use the tire trick, but that's very high in demand and expensive if the seller knows what they've got.

Have never tried the tire yet! Will find out this wknd tho..have fallen behind with work and all. Seems like there is always wood to work! ) I split all my wood by hand

I never checked the size of my tire, I think it is 17 or 18 inch. It really works good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.