Old topic, correct location..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard M Emerson

Sep 4, 2006
www.howardemerson.com
60 views and no responses on my 'Increasing draft' thread..........I guess I should have posted it here instead of in the 'wood' section.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Draft Inducer?

http://www.volko.com/draftinducers.htm

If adding an extra section of pipe to my chimney does not work, I'm tempted to try this item as it is quite inexpensive for what it is suppose to do.

My existing run from stove top to cap is about 11', straight all the way. Adding a 3' section hopefully will make a difference by itself.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/

I would try the 3 footer first. It may be the answer. When I first installed the stove I run now, I had a rare problem with backdraft. Added a 2 ft section, and have never had another problem.

You are starting with a fairly short stack, so adding a couple of feet won't hurt.

Hi Jags,
Thanks so much for the response.

The stove was in the house when we bought it 13 years ago. It's an older Earth Stove but it does a pretty good job if I spend a lot of time tending the fire for the first 20 minutes or so. It's just always been frustrating having to fight its tendency to back-puff unless the fire is roaring and/or the stack temp is over 300+.

I almost bought one of those Exhausto Chimney fans, but the cost and install are rediculous. I hope the added section makes the difference. I'm sure supports will be needed with the added height as well.

Best,
Howard

I actually own an old earth stove as well. It is not in service as a home heating appliance, but I have noticed the same things as you. This is an outdoors burner for me, that I use to heat pool water (thats a whole 'nuther thread in itself), but I think that by design, with the 8" flue exhaust and large tip out door, some of this is the nature of the beast.

With all due respect, you may consider an upgrade from that ol stove in the future. If you haven't witnessed the new epa stoves in action, your really missing out on some serious upgrades in overall performance.

Jags said:
I actually own an old earth stove as well. It is not in service as a home heating appliance, but I have noticed the same things as you. This is an outdoors burner for me, that I use to heat pool water (thats a whole 'nuther thread in itself), but I think that by design, with the 8" flue exhaust and large tip out door, some of this is the nature of the beast.

With all due respect, you may consider an upgrade from that ol stove in the future. If you haven't witnessed the new epa stoves in action, your really missing out on some serious upgrades in overall performance.

Hi Jags,
I'm so glad to know that you've got first hand experience with the TPOS stove I've got...........I have actually gotten 'overnight' burns with it............Well........that is to say that I've filled it as much as possible, got the flame to the point where it does that hypnotic dance/disappearing act that we're all addicted to...........Went to be at 11pm, woke at 5am and there was enough embers to get it going with little effort...............

The problem, of course, is the effort to get it to that point to start with.

In any case, you're not even close in 'disrespecting' me by your advise. On the contrary, it's something that I think about often during the heating season, but like the squatter who won't fix the hole in the roof on a sunny day..........:-]

I did a house concert up in Vermont where the guy had a Quadrafire and an old Jotul, with the upper section for baking, etc.............Wow...........What a difference hanging around really nice stoves, with draft that could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch..........Well.........not that much, but you catch my drift..........What a pleasure.

So you're preachin' to the choir. We will upgrade at some point and I'll certainly take advantage of the Forum's collective wisdom come that time.

Best regards,
Howard

Well I picked up the Metalbestos pipe section and chimney support rig and the install went without a hitch.

It really twists onto the existing section quite easily, so I'll probably take it off next year to negate the need for a really tall ladder when cleaning. The band clamp is absolutely needed to keep it secure.

The support kit made no mention of finding roof rafters to screw the lag bolts into, but I know better than that, and with a little effort I was able to find both, so I'm reasonably sure that the chimney is securely held.

I was a little bothered by having to drill holes in a roof that's never leaked, but the clear butyl rubber 'Through The Roof' caulking seems like it'll do the trick. I put plenty under the L brackets, in the screw holes themselves, around the bracket after tightening and on top of the lag bolt heads.

Good thing that stuff is clear!

HE

Status
Not open for further replies.