Old tree down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I was joking with my wife and thinking about putting my Stihl saw on the stump to claim I fell this big sucker, but didn't. lol This was a typical cottonwood that used to be beside a home but the home was destroyed many years ago. The land was sold and, like others in the area, the trees start falling. Not that any want the wood but they don't seem to want the trees. For this particular tree, I'd have left it because it was in a wet area and that thing can drink a lot of water. But it also produced shade which corn and beans do not like so well. So goodbye to an old friend.

The first picture is a bit difficult to judge the size.

Cottonwood-1.gif

This one and the next tell the story of size a bit better.

Cottonwood-Judy.gif

Cottonwood-Judy-2.gif

I did not measure the circumference but did put a tape to the stump. It varied from 82" to 103"

Thats Big!

Nice spot for a nap. Looks like its days were numbered either way.

Jay, I though of you when I saw that thing was down. I also thought of several of our western members who cut those big trees all the time because that is the only good wood they have. Needless to say, it took a pretty big saw to cut it and that no doubt is why it stayed standing for so long. Now I wonder what they have planned for it.

You are right Solar. Yet I'll bet it would still live on for many more years.

Wow! From the first pic I had no idea how huge that tree was. No sense of scale. The second shot sure puts it in perspective!
That's a heap of BTUs!

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I though of you when I saw that thing was down. I also thought of several of our western members who cut those big trees all the time because that is the only good wood they have. Needless to say, it took a pretty big saw to cut it and that no doubt is why it stayed standing for so long. Now I wonder what they have planned for it.

By the looks of the cuts does not look like a real big saw. Bet they have a monster round to deal with.
Knda like this one.

Attachments

• 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 309
WOW. Biggest Cottonwood I see around here is 5'-6' diameter at best. 7 to 8 1/2 feet! Be a mess of pallets & crates for sure.

Kenster said:
Wow! From the first pic I had no idea how huge that tree was. No sense of scale. The second shot sure puts it in perspective!
That's a heap of BTUs!

Not really - it's cottonwood.

Thas big. Musta bin at least 50 years old! :lol:

Many not be many BTU's but I still would have liked to hear the "THUD" when she hit the earth.................................LOL

That is a BMF tree!

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1305392729"]I was joking with my wife and thinking about putting my Stihl saw on the stump to claim I fell this big sucker, but didn't. lol This was a typical cottonwood that used to be beside a home but the home was destroyed many years ago. The land was sold and, like others in the area, the trees start falling. Not that any want the wood but they don't seem to want the trees. For this particular tree, I'd have left it because it was in a wet area and that thing can drink a lot of water. But it also produced shade which corn and beans do not like so well. So goodbye to an old friend.

The first picture is a bit difficult to judge the size.

That is one big old tree, would of been nice like you said if they could have left it.

Zap

Bigg_Redd said:
Kenster said:
That's a heap of BTUs!

Not really - it's cottonwood.

While cottonwood does not have the btu rating of oak, there still are lots of btu's in that tree. Just look at the size and how much wood you could get. That is a lot of btu's and I know plenty of folks who would be very happy to get that wood.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

By the looks of the cuts does not look like a real big saw. Bet they have a monster round to deal with.
Knda like this one.

Jay, that is just plain nasty!

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Knda like this one.

Smikinjay- nice Stihl family you have going there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.