Old Triton wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Dia Octavo

Jul 16, 2008
Michigan
I picked up an old Triton stove that connects to a forced air furnace plenum and has an internal heat exhanger and fan to blow heat out of the stove and into the plenum. Weighs over 500 pounds, plate steel, ash drawer, 6" flue. Does anyone have any information on these old stoves? I'm installing it in my barn and will use the blower arrangement to point heat in whatever direction I need it. I'm hoping it'll be a neat tool.

Update: Got the old girl hooked up and fired last week - man, does this thing crank out the heat. It has a blower on it that blows heated air out an 8" round hole on top that you'd think was the flue if it wasn't right next to a 6" flue. Same steel collar, etc. Looks just like a flue. I put a 90" black elbow on it and can point the hot air blast any direction needed. Very nifty.

Also, no flue damper - it is an air supply goverened stove and has an inlet at the back at the bottom of the box. I suppose you could even plumb outside air to it pretty easily.

I did learn that inside the firebox at the top the heat baffle has burned away from 25 years of duty. It is not leaking CO into the room - I have a CO detector right in front of the heat blower outlet and, so far, nothing. The previous owner used it for 25 years from Christmas through April and shut it down three years ago when he installed geothermal. Should still have many years of barn heating life left in it.

All in all, a very good buy for $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.