Old VC Intrepid Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurando

Feb 24, 2008
Hamilton NJ
Hi I am new to this site and so far I have found a lot of great information. I was recently given an old VC intrepid non-cat stove as payment for some work I did for someone. I would like to know if any of you have any first have knowledge or experience with this stove. It was built in 1983 and has the doors with glass only in the top. If anyone has used this model intrepid I am interested in performance info as well as weather parts might be interchangeable. The guy at my local stove shop said it’s to old. my house in not very big about 1200 sq ft the room it would be in is only about 220 sq ft. thank for your help.

John

That is the stove that I use to heat a lake house I have. The house is only 700 sq ft. and wide open. It works decent for that application, but I don't see it heating 1200 sq. ft. I do have trouble getting the house to warm up when I first get there. The little stove seems to struggle. To help this I use a small propane heater to take the chill off and then let th stove take over. If you want to use it to heat up the room it will will be in and don't care if it does the rest of the house than it would work great. Overall I am very impressed for being such a small stove. I have actually been able to burn the thing overnight for 10 hours and come back to a few coals still hot. I then just take a little kindling and a couple logs and it is off burning for the day. This doesn't always happen, but I am impressed that I could do it. Hopefully this will help some.

Thanks for the info I am that is good to hear I am not looking to heat the whole house but any offset in the cost of NG would be nice I guess I’m just hoping I will give the furnace a break. Can you tell me about how often you had to load it with wood?

For me it varies depending on how cold it is. I am also still learning this stove a bit. This is only my second year using it. I can typically get 6-8 hours out of a good fire without any problem. Sometimes if it is really cold and the girl wants the house to be like a sauna, I'll load it closer to 6 hours, but for an average day I wait 8 hours or somtimes more. I know this isn't a really black and white answer, but it seems to change for me depending on wood, weather, and what technique I'm trying.

Wow I am glad to hear this small stove can go that long without needing more wood I would have been happy if you said like 3-4 hours it sounds like this stove will fit my needs thanks for the info.

Depending on what parts you need, I believe there are still parts available for your stove through VC. See if you can find the model #

lvfd50 said:
For me it varies depending on how cold it is. I am also still learning this stove a bit. This is only my second year using it. I can typically get 6-8 hours out of a good fire without any problem. Sometimes if it is really cold and the girl wants the house to be like a sauna, I'll load it closer to 6 hours, but for an average day I wait 8 hours or somtimes more. I know this isn't a really black and white answer, but it seems to change for me depending on wood, weather, and what technique I'm trying.

you get 6-8 hours from an Intrepid?
my Cat intrepid II is 4 hrs at best 4.5.

is there a longer burn time w/out cat??? that would be a first no?

I guess it depends what you mean about burn time. When I say 6-8 hours I am refering to burning the wood and still having enough coals remaining to throw on some smaller splits and continue burning without having to start a new fire. As far as dlames and seeing lots of the log it probably would be closer to 4 or 5 hours.

yep me too. down to coals in ~ 4hrs-5hrs (my manual states 6 hrs max in VC perfect condition world)
if i waited 6-8 hrs i dont even have A coal left.

damn, that is impressive on an intrepid even on your manual, 5 hrs is given as MAX. and you know VC is reaching.
http://www.vermontcastings.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=139

6-8 hrs deems you
"Ihe Intrepid Master"
Supreme Secondary Air Controller of the World of Wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.