Old ventless needs to go!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sculptalot

Dec 10, 2013
Arkansas
Greetings,
There is a old ventless heater in my fathers home which is stationed in front of his brick fireplace.
I am doing some renovations and want to install a direct vent gas hearth heater like a Williams. The only place that makes sense is on the Hearth in front of the fireplace. There are windows on either side of the fireplace and doors and windows everywhere in his small house. So no convenient place to vent through a wall. I would like to either go straight thru the back of the fireplace using a extension, or run a 4" all the way up to the top of the brick fireplace which is 10' tall. The owners manual says not to vent into fireplace but to vent to the out doors. So if I run piping all the way up to the top this would be venting to the out doors.
Am I wrong with this conclusion. I need some advice or tips. Thanks RR

Greetings,
There is a old ventless heater in my fathers home which is stationed in front of his brick fireplace.
I am doing some renovations and want to install a direct vent gas hearth heater like a Williams. The only place that makes sense is on the Hearth in front of the fireplace. There are windows on either side of the fireplace and doors and windows everywhere in his small house. So no convenient place to vent through a wall. I would like to either go straight thru the back of the fireplace using a extension, or run a 4" all the way up to the top of the brick fireplace which is 10' tall. The owners manual says not to vent into fireplace but to vent to the out doors. So if I run piping all the way up to the top this would be venting to the out doors.
Am I wrong with this conclusion. I need some advice or tips. Thanks RR

I have to ask. Why aren't you considering a Direct Vent gas insert? The co-linear 3" liners will probably not require ANY mods to the existing masonry & it will heat as good as a free-standing unit. Takes up no space from your hearth, as well...

I have to ask. Why aren't you considering a Direct Vent gas insert? The co-linear 3" liners will probably not require ANY mods to the existing masonry & it will heat as good as a free-standing unit. Takes up no space from your hearth, as well...
I don't think it will heat as good and I like the option of the blower and thermostat the regulate the heat. Having the burner and unit outside the fireplace I'm sure will not let as much heat escape up the chimney. Am I wrong with this reasoning. Thanks

I don't think it will heat as good and I like the option of the blower and thermostat the regulate the heat. Having the burner and unit outside the fireplace I'm sure will not let as much heat escape up the chimney. Am I wrong with this reasoning. Thanks

Yes, your reasoning is a little faulty. Inserts are installed with insulation at the cap & in the damper area. You won't lose heat up the chimney. Inserts have blowers & T-stats - even remote T-stats - are options. Overall look is cleaner IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.