old vs new saws and gasoline then and now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
I've got a 25+ year old Stihl 028 that I inherited from my father in law. It seems to need absolutely fresh gas to run well and takes a minute or more to warm up and will not run well if you don't give it that warm up time. Meanwhile I have an Echo blower and Stihl trimmer purchased new within the last 3 years that can be stored for months and still start up and run well instantly. SO my question is, given that gasoline today is different from gasoline 25 years ago - is that part of my problem as newer engines were engineered differently OR is something else wrong with my Stihl OR is it time to retire and shell out for a new saw?

May not be time to retire but after 25 years a little warm up time not bad!

Gasoline today is substantially better than in the past. OK - the octane rating may not be as high as 'Ethyl' was in the 70's, but as far as stability, detergency, cleanlieness, burn characteristics, etc - it far outshines the gas of yesteryear. Look at it this way - dirty engines make for dirty emissions - if gasoline wasn't 'high performance' as far as burning and keeping engines clean, the EPA would just mandate it to be so.

I'd give the old saw the once over - clean filters, carb rebuild/cleaning, look for any air leaks, etc. Plastics and rubber components in use 25 years ago aren't likely to last 25 years without some splitting and cracking (heck - I doubt many in use today would last 25 years) This is the most likely cause of the issues.

cozy heat said:
Gasoline today is substantially better than in the past. .

good point on the one side - on the other is Ethanol. Maybe I'm particularly curious about that. I've heard more than a few folks bad mouthing Ethanol and how it affects particulary smaller engines

From what iv'e learned, the ethanol tends to attack the rubber componets of yesteryear just a little more then todays rubber. depends on the type of rubber, buytl, viton, etc. It also tends to cause just a slightly higher operating temperature. Plus leaded gas of the old was somewhat lubricating initself, which helped with longevity on two strokes, but could cause more deposits.

Use Fuel Stabilizer... The Ethanol tends to gum up carburetors in short order. Even today's newer motorcycles are having issues with it unless fuel stabilizer is used or the fuel is run out of the carb.

philaphire said:
I've got a 25+ year old Stihl 028 that I inherited from my father in law. It seems to need absolutely fresh gas to run well and takes a minute or more to warm up and will not run well if you don't give it that warm up time. Meanwhile I have an Echo blower and Stihl trimmer purchased new within the last 3 years that can be stored for months and still start up and run well instantly. SO my question is, given that gasoline today is different from gasoline 25 years ago - is that part of my problem as newer engines were engineered differently OR is something else wrong with my Stihl OR is it time to retire and shell out for a new saw?

1) clean carb

2) clear air filter

3) replace spark plug

Ethanol blended fuel turned the fuel line in my 33 year old Husky to a mush. I was told to be sure and replace it with a new updated line, not to use one from NOS (new old stock).

Steve

Do a comprression test.

4) new rings ?

;-) today's gasoline just aint what it use to be :shut:

short storage life
water absorbsion
reaction with different rubber components
evaporation results , with water after long storage
running results with water (when possible to get started)

today's gas is made for the AUTOMOTIVE MARKET and everybody else takes the back seat.

Just bought a Dolmar 5100 backup saw from local mom/pop store.the mecanic on duty took it out back and " turned down" carb {1/4 turn richer} because there have been problems with pistons burning out from new gas, and if i use startron stabilizer i can turn back up i haven't had a problem with my other saws but then i don't mess with carb settings much. dolmar must have these things crancked up right from factory. Sounds like your 028 needs carb tuned,new air filter, spark plug

Todays gas goes bad in 2 to 3 months. The ethanol is blended in to oxygenate the gas. The same volume of gas has less energy because of the oxygen component. Ethanol is also high octane so its used to boost the octane of low octane blending stock.(stuff they can't sell outright because its octane is to low) Ethanol absorbs water from the air, once its saturated, your gas can is full of low octane crap and water. So yesterdays gas was much better than what you get today.

Status
Not open for further replies.