Old Whitfield Prodigy II shuts down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbcsteve

Dec 5, 2011
Central NH
Hello All,

First time post here.

I installed an old Whitfield Prodigy II s/n WP01115 in my basement last year. It works well except it shuts down after running on Heat Output positions 3-5, positions 1-2 work fine. When it shuts down, the auger stops and blower stops, and the pellet feed light is dimly lit.
This year, I ghad it inspected by a local shop. They installed the fresh air vent kit (which I should have done!), cleaned the unit and tested for about 5 -10 minutes on position 5, the highest.
The stove has been running great, running almost non-stop, so the other day I got bold and went to position 3, and it ran great for about 20 minutes, then shut down as before.
-High limit switch?
-Any other ideas?

Does anyone have a good schematic for this unit? I am an experienced electronics tech and can probably find the issue with a good schematic.

Regards, and thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I would adjust the combustion fan trim setting first , and try it again and see if that would help, good luck.

The schematic diagrams of the wiring in the different versions of the Prodigy can be found on pages 22 - 23 in this .pdf:

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf

Also, on page 20 in this .pdf, there's a precise explanation on how to adjust the blowers and pellet feed up to factory specs... you know, as suggested by Emilio, it might be just a matter of finding the "sweet spot".

Another thing... you could have too many fines/sawdust accumulated in the bottom of the hopper. Once in a while my stove also shuts down in the lower settings, and this happens only if I run into some pellets with too many fines.

Good luck and keep us posted

by the way, have you checked your draft setting. it just dawned on me, it is probably starving of oxygenor getting too much of it....if the burn pot has a lot of unburned pellets, then that should be your problem...adjust your fresh air intake..let me know, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.