Old Woman Makes Old Man Laugh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
She almost never goes out in the woods, but today she decided to take some winter pictures of her own, before winter is over. So she went with me while I cut wood. Then complained she was cold, while I was splitting and sweating. I handed her my maul and said "here you go".

Buy her some decent gloves, bro'. And tell her she's all right in my book, I can't swing a maul, either. She's a good egg, Quads. :)

Looks like she extracted a few BTU's there! :)

Why are you splitting small rounds like that? Good overnight piece!

No way in hell my wife will even pick up the hatchet. let alone the maul...you've got a keeper there!

It's the effort that counts. Good woman.
Give her a few weeks, she'll be splitting those.
"A" for effort, & willingness to try. Get a maul her size will ya.
Having fun is very simple & easy. Thanks for sharing, the "good fun".

Bobbin said:
Buy her some decent gloves, bro'. And tell her she's all right in my book, I can't swing a maul, either. She's a good egg, Quads. :)
Ha! She couldn't find her gloves. First time she's been out all winter!

mayhem said:
Why are you splitting small rounds like that? Good overnight piece!

No way in hell my wife will even pick up the hatchet. let alone the maul...you've got a keeper there!
She chose the small round to split. I'll let you tell her. She never did actually get it to split.

We've only been married 25 years, but I guess that's enough that I have to keep her now!

bogydave said:
It's the effort that counts. Good woman.
Give her a few weeks, she'll be splitting those.
"A" for effort, & willingness to try. Get a maul her size will ya.
Having fun is very simple & easy. Thanks for sharing, the "good fun".
Yep, I was thinking Fiskars.

Thanks for the video quads. I'm not sure if my wife ever tried to split wood or not but I don't remember if she did.

I used to laugh when my oldest son was in his mid-teens. He would balk about lifting some heavy wood (we cut most wood into buzz lengths then) so I'd tell him, "That's okay. Mom will get it." And she would! He seemed to be at that stage where he liked to balk at doing something that involved work. It was not too long before he started getting mad when I'd say that his mother would do it and that is what broke him out of his shell. He turned out to be a fine man and we're still very proud of him.

Quads, it's not her fault that won't split. My wife had the same problem when I handed her the Girl's Maul. Now, give your wife a Man's 8lb maul and then we'll see her do some real work there.

P.S. I got myself another pair of bibs, wife told me to knock it off, 'cause I'm not a fat old farmer. I said "yet, dear.... I'm not a fat old farmer, YET" - she didn't find me humorous.

Danno77 said:
Quads, it's not her fault that won't split. My wife had the same problem when I handed her the Girl's Maul. Now, give your wife a Man's 8lb maul and then we'll see her do some real work there.

P.S. I got myself another pair of bibs, wife told me to knock it off, 'cause I'm not a fat old farmer. I said "yet, dear.... I'm not a fat old farmer, YET" - she didn't find me humorous.
Ha ha! YET is the operative term here. I never used to be a fat old farmer either!

Here is a picture our daughter secretly snapped as we were heading out to the woods. Mrs. Quads is riding in the sled:

Attachments

• mom_and_dad.jpg
    mom_and_dad.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 442
NOt funny saving sweet gum log for her to split, although I tried teaching wifey golf with righty clubs and shes lefty. Didn't tell her. She hated the lesson and I figured I saved thousands over the years.

If only she had a Fiskars.... :lol:

My wife did about the same the other day. At least she tried.

I love that picture of Mrs. Quads in the sled. Definitely a keeper. :)

Bobbin said:
I love that picture of Mrs. Quads in the sled. Definitely a keeper. :)
Ha ha! I like it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.