1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Old Wood Burner turning to gas.

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by HemiDeuce, Feb 10, 2012.

1. HemiDeuce

HemiDeuce New Member

Loc:
    Just North of Point Roberts, WA
    Hi all, have been a long time wood burner, Fisher Insert, and am looking at a Valor Legend G3 Direct Vent Insert 739 ILN on Natural Gas.
    I have 1500 sq ft house that I have been heating with the wood stove for many years, and am hoping the gas insets will be up to the task as well.
    The dealers don't seem to recommend a fan for these units, but my experience with wood burning tells me I should have one.
    Would appreciate any and all comments on this gas unit and fans.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
  3. trafick

trafick Member

Loc:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I agree with DAKSY about the ceiling fan. I think it moves the air better than a blower. Of course I don't have a blower on my gas stove and if I did it would blow into the room and not to the area I want to heat. I do have a blower on the woodstove and we never use it. It's great if you are in the room with it but it doesn't do much for the rest of the house.
  4. HemiDeuce

HemiDeuce New Member

Loc:
    Thanks for your replys.
    The wood stove is a Fisher Insert that I have modified with a positive damper, enlarged HD smoke shelf, gasketed doors and a Condor thermostat on one of the doors. I'll try and attach a picture.
    I have been able to get 24 hour burns with this unit using Douglas Fir that has been dried for about 6 months.
    I use about 1 1/2 cords in a season here in the Pacific Northwest.
    I use a fan infront of the stove blowing into the lower chamber under the stove and exiting the top of the stove, another, on top of a book case beside the stove that blows across the stoves rising heated air. An ajacent open room with a cathederial ceiling has a ceiling fan, and another fan on the far side of the room blowing into the kitchen, and yet another another fan blowing down a hall.
    I plan on keeping the existing fans except the one infront of the stove, and thought a fan in the bottom rear of the Gas Insert that would draw air in from the front and exit it out the top.
    I looks at the Regency and thought it was a very good insert but with my size restraints, the Valor had a higher BTU rating at 26,000 and a turn down rate of 6,500, that fit in my arch shaped fireplace opening.
    I looked at fans from a place that I saw on here called www.fireplaceblowersonline.com and wondered if they would be the answer.
    Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

5. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME
    I've never seen a stove on a floating hearth before. It must be built pretty rugged.
  6. HemiDeuce

HemiDeuce New Member

Loc:
    Just reporting back on my Valor G3 instal and it works very well. I have the temperature set at 72 degrees, 24 hours a day and it keeps the house very comfortable. I instaled a fan in the insert, and with a couple of additional fans situated around the house all is warm.