Old Woodstove Russo fuming me out, CO?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have had a Russo Woodstove for 28 years, last year I had a stainless liner installed, ever since I get head aches and midly dizzy despite I having 3 CO detectors, none of them going off. I cleaned the chimney this year with a Sooteater.
Today I took a look a look trying to figure out what is wrong, I noticed the 6 inch pipe from the stove to the "T" is angled down. I put my floor jack underneath hoping to compress it up a bit and heard a pop, you maybe the cap popped out (another problem as I can hear squirrels getting in there). I am going to call the guy who installed it, last time I called he said on the phone if the detectors aren't going off then you don't have a CO problem, so I'm doubting he will be much help. What really stinks is my Gas Furnace is also on the blink.....

Check for cracks. A liner on some old stoves can cause them to overfire if one is not careful. Happened to a mod here a decade ago.

Call your local fire department (directly, not via 911). They have much more sensitive CO meters and are often glad to come out and check for gas or CO issues. I think most of them prefer a routine call now to an emergency call later.

Last edited:
I looked at it today, the stove is solid, what I didn't like is that it wasn't very "square" to the "T", so I nudged the stove over a couple of inches and I think perhaps the pipes have a tighter fit with each other. The fire burns well in the stove, I guess I also have to wonder how well seasoned my wood is, I get it in batches and always try to burn the oldest stuff first. I pile it against a chainlink fence which gets sun and air everyday, but it is in the elements too.