Older animat mixing valve leaking at stem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
OK, you real experts. Stump the Chump. A friend sent me this:

"I have a Amimat 1 1/2" - 4 way mixing valve on my heating system. (from Finland)(25 or more years old). I got it from Charlie Reichner back when I was selling Tarms.

The valve developed a leak out of the stem and I do not see a packing nut or way to stop the leak.

Do you know anyone who is knowledgeable about these older valves - or someone who might have parts? I searched the web and did not find much."

????

Can it be disassembled from the bottom? If so, it should have one or two "O" rings on the valve stem which can be replaced with standard service ones. I like to use a small amount of silicone based dielectric grease for assembly lube as it won't swell the rubber.

TS

Reactions: webbie
He fixed it! I'm putting his results here for posterity....

"
this was a 1/2" x 5/16" x 3/32" o-ring. (probably metric but who can measure that way.) All the 1/2" o-rings I found at the first seven stores were either 1/16" or 1/8" thick. The 1/16" ones leaked. The 1/8" ones would not allow the stem to fit back in. I went to home depot, lowes, 3 hardware stores, auto parts stores etc. Finally found it at a hydraulic supply house. The guy gave it to me for free.
It also requires a gasket. I didn't even try to find that. Used permatex form a gasket - it worked well."

Reactions: BoilerMan
Great! Always like when you can fix old stuff. Repaired an alternator on my 26 yr old JD 332 diesel garden tractor myself. 2 bearings on eBay for $19 shipped and a loaned bearing puller from the parts store. New one was 400 bones.

O rings are always pesky the find in the correct size. There is a diesel shop which I go to if I need to find weird metric sizes (I'm a European car guy).

Glad to hear all is well. Permatex is holding MANY fluids in their correct places in my cars and my heating system as well!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.