Older Better N Ben fireplace insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrabbley

Sep 4, 2008
S. OHIO
I just bought this stove :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Better-N-Ben-Wo...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is an older non-epa stove better n ben insert. I had one when I was a kid and it put out the heat. I am wondering if I should re-sell it as I didn't really do my research on the non-epa vs epa baffle/non-baffle etc. and I was drawn in by my good memories of sitting around that exact stove.

So are the newer stoves that much better? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

My father in law has burned a better n ben for more than 30 yrs. He swears that it burns clean and he only goes through 3.5 cord per yr to heat a 2000+ ft raised ranch. He burns it real hot. Works for him. $850 seems like an awful lot of money though.

I burned that same stove for a few years. It would take a nice big log and put out some good heat. Down side is that you will burn alot of wood in that one. It does not sound like your FIL burned 24/7 from November til April with that 3.5 cords number. I used to burn 5+ in that stove. You can burn it hot and clean but nowhere near what a newer stove can do.

If you want to get in the wood burning business, I would find a nice new or used stove now and hook it up right and see if you can get some money back for that stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.