Older Breckwell Owners beware Auger motor changes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I went to replace an older (6 yr old) auger motor in a customers stoves. I found that the auger motor I got from my Breckwell Distributor has a larger shaft diameter than the old motor's shaft. The new motor and the old auger will not go together. As of right now the only thing I can do is replace the customer's auger with a new one or bore out the old auger shaft by sending the part to a machine shop.

Eric

Thanks for the heads up. The auger and the combustion motors on my 1994 Breckwell are still original equipment. Every year I expect one or both of them to give up the ghost. I guess I’ll have to be watchful of what I order.

I wonder if Breckwell or someone has put out a coupling that has different sized openings on each end. That seems like an easy fix for the problem you mentioned but that would be too easy and too customer friendly.

I can see why a dealer wants to stay with OEM parts. What are the diameters? There are a lot of generic auger motor sources for DIY's.

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]I went to replace an older (6 yr old) auger motor in a customers stoves. I found that the auger motor I got from my Breckwell Distributor has a larger shaft diameter than the old motor's shaft. The new motor and the old auger will not go together. As of right now the only thing I can do is replace the customer's auger with a new one or bore out the old auger shaft by sending the part to a machine shop.

Eric

What's the difference in diameter? If it's within 1/64th (.0156")
you should be able to ream out the required material...unless
it's heat treated...Of course, you have to get the correct size
reamer & if it's an oddball size, you're probably not gonna need
it again...

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]I went to replace an older (6 yr old) auger motor in a customers stoves. I found that the auger motor I got from my Breckwell Distributor has a larger shaft diameter than the old motor's shaft. The new motor and the old auger will not go together. As of right now the only thing I can do is replace the customer's auger with a new one or bore out the old auger shaft by sending the part to a machine shop.

Eric

How did you ever resolve this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.