Older Breckwell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegdot

Nov 16, 2007
Upstate, SC
I just bought an older (1991 I think.) Breckwell pellet insert, P24. Was checking the stove out, and cleaning it, before installing when I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the amount of air that comes out the front when the high fan switch is flipped. I can feel a definate difference in the fan speed as it goes up with the feed rate so I feel pretty sure that part is working correctly just concerned that the fan may be going bad since the high speed setting doesn't add much at any feed rate setting. Anyone know if that's normal for this stove?

Thanks,
Peg

dont know for certain ,so im asking q's

the room fan and the exhaust fan should be different units , so running the feed rate up may not have any effect on room air. does the unit automatically lock the two fans together?

also, is the fan itself clean? room fans are notorious for loading up with "dust bunnies" and pet hair and such. if "RPM's" increase but output does not, might just be dirty.

you might also try this test: run the fan on high and guage the output, then connect the fan briefly to a 110 power source (if its ac) and compare using house power i would figure the high setting for the unit would allow the motor to get full voltage, so if the unit runs harder from straight power than it does through the controls , it could be the control itself that is causing the problem

DISCLAIMER: im not familiar with this particular model , so make sure that the blower is not using converted dc power before trying the 3rd step i suggested

anyone out there deal with breckwell??? correct me if im wrong on this please.

The manual says " The convection blower speed varies directly with feed rate. The "High Fan" switch overrides this variable speed function. It will set the convection blower speed to high at any feed rate setting." I don't see any mention of exhaust blower speed in the manual but both blowers come on from a single switch.

There is a noise change when the high speed switch is flipped, sort of a harmonic vibration, but so little change in air movement, out the front, that I'm not 100% sure that I'm not just imagining it. I'm testing the unit with it just sitting outside on some metal saw horses so the harmonic thing might be from that. Could it be getting too much fresh air since it's out in the open with no inlet or exhaust pipes connected? Since there is a visable difference in the air rate inside the burn pot is it possible that there's a blockage where the air passes into the heat exchangers? If I get a chance I'll check it today to see if the exhaust fan speeds up with the feed rate.

I cleaned both fans before I fired it up but I'll take a closer look at the convection fan to make sure I didn't miss something.

I have to apologize for my ignorance but I'd never even seen a pellet stove burn until I put a match to this one. Everyone around here is in the dark about pellet stoves. Not one single person I asked had ever even heard of them until I mentioned it to a sister who lived for 15 years in PA. Very few places sell the stoves or the pellets and there is no one at all to service/repair them so.....this forum is really my only hope! lol

Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.