Older Drolet Austral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanee

Jan 17, 2015
Hello wood folks, and thanks in advance for any advice. We inherited an older Drolet Austral when we purchased our house. The reason I can tell it's older is it doesn't have the bypass damper that the current models of this stove have. Because of this it is a smoky beast for an EPA stove. Admittedly this is the first EPA stove I've had, coming from a beloved older Lopi, but it is incredibly hard to keep this Drolet from smoking up the house. You pretty much have to have a roaring fire when you open the door. If you look up the manual it actually suggests leaving the door cracked 1/4-inch for the first half hour of burn time. What kind of a terrible design has that instruction? Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

Does anyone know if you can retrofit these with the bypass damper? Or have any suggestions? The situation is made worse by the fact that the previous owner had installed a hard-wired smoke alarm in the room with the wood stove, so it's constantly going off and driving the family nuts.

Wish I could give you some useful info - I have an new Austral and suffice to say the bypass is something I think is incredible, this stove practically never smokes at all except when I haven't burned for a long enough time for the chimney to be bone cold. Then if I'm not careful it will smoke.
The bypass is a simple design but I don't know if it could be simply retro-fitted into your unit. That might be a big challenge.
Btw for startup I actually do keep my door cracked open as it gets up to temp a lot quicker that way. Let me know if there's any useful info from my unit that I can give you.

E.

How tall is the chimney on this stove and can you describe to us how it is connected to the chimney? Pictures are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.