older Efel questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ms440

Apr 6, 2006
Maine
So the forum was right on my Stove ID thread. Went and looked at it and it was inded an older Efel Syphony. It was in great shape, no rust, firebox is clean. Only research I was able to find was one person who wasn't impressed and moved on.

This is for a camp so I offere a couple hundred bucks and figured it at least looks nice! Anyway, of course I discover it is a cat stove. Of course there is no cat in it. It has a reversable colar and is presently set up for a hearth mount. It appears that the cat is supposed to mount in the top of the stove. I found one for just over $100 online.

Anyone have any experience with these or comments? Thanks everyone!

Look carefully at the cat holder and bypass system. If you think it's all in good shape (bypass closes tightly, etc.), then the new cat would help the stove operate better.

BTW, "old" Efels were around in the mid to late 1970's. By the time they got to the Harmony and Symphony, they were pretty much on their way out as a big US stove company. The original sheet metal Efels were big sellers!
57232-1cfea40c72cb7f54c5a23fcc6e83eb4d.jpg

Thanks, the cat bypass works well, I see a couple metal tabs with holes in them but not sure how the cat attaches.

Ok, it looks like it could fit on the top piece where the exhaust would be if the collar was for top exit. I'll put up a pic sometime, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.