Older Hearthstone Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TnTnT

Jul 15, 2008
Southern NH
Hi,

I am looking at a used (barely) Hearthstone model (see pics) that the seller calls a "Brownstone". Does anyone know anything about this model? I have not yet seen it in person, but plan to. Based on the pics, it looks a bit like the Heritage (top mount exhaust) or Mansfield (except side door). The only literature I have is what HearthStone provides on their site for their current models. How does this model differ from today's? Is it catalytic?

What should I inspect in the fire box for this model? What else can become "weathered" over time through non-use (barely used by owner - 10x in 20 yrs?)?

Given that there are zero links on the internet for this model, I am going into this purchase with little info outside of what the HearthStone site provides about soapstone in general and their current models.

Thoughts on what a 20 year old Hearthstone might be worth in this condition?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TnTnT

Pics attached:

Attachments

• brownstone front.jpg
    brownstone front.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 3,024
  • brownstone left.jpg
    brownstone left.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,097
  • brownstone top.jpg
    brownstone top.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,249
That looks like a cherry Hearthstone I model. It appears to be in really nice shape. If correct, the word is that it wasn't that great a heater for it's size, but I'll wait for confirmation from the hearthstone crowd.

Calling Rick to the lobby. What do you think?

I took a look at it. It is a Hearthstone II wood/coal model with metal baffle, side and rear plate assemblies in the firebox. It also has a single air flow pipe. Apparently, it was purchased in 1985 and it has hardly been used. It looks immaculate except for a little rust on the glass retention bracket and inside the side door.

If I am going to use only wood in this unit, would it be possible to replace a lot of the metal plate assemblies with the bricks used in the Phoenix or is that idiotic?

Thanks,
TnTnT

I'm not a soapstone owner, but it doesn't seem like that change would be of great benefit. Hopefully Highbeam, Fossil or Tom can give you a bit more specific info shortly.

Oh gosh, BG, if I'm the Rick you were lookin' for, I think you got the wrong guy. I've never owned a soapstone stove. But since I ran here to the lobby in my bathrobe when I got your page, I'll give you my meager thoughts. It looks terrific from the outside, but of course, as we've seen in a few other similar threads, it's really the condition inside the firebox that needs close scrutiny, as well as the backside of the stove. As far as modifying the stove goes, I agree that it might be more trouble than it's worth. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help. Sure is pretty, though! I'll go get dressed now. :cheese: Rick

Wires crossed, I meant Todd or some other fossil. :). Sorry to wake you.

Being only two stones deep on the side would make it most similar to a heritage today in size. The legs are like a modern mansfield. It does look very nice for a 20 year old stove, I hope mine will look that nice after 20 years. The inside of the stove is the next area of concern. If coal was burned in this stove then the corrosive nature of the gasses might have been hard on this intermittently used stove. Lots of cold stone mass means a good bit of condensation is possible and may have rusted the steel plate out. I do not know if this model was a catalytic stove but since it is able to burn coal I would seriously doubt that it is a cat stove. In fact, it might not even be a clean burning secondary combustion model due to the multifuel compromises.

If the plate is still solid inside then I wouldn't bother to replace it. They were designed this way and the addition of firebrick won't do much for you except reduce firebox size.

20 year old stoves are not EPA certified and so not legal to install in my state. How about yours? Since they are not legal to install, the value is diminished to furniture level. 500$ tops since that stove is in such nice condition.

Guys, I can't tell you how useful this site has been.

Based on other posts I'm sure you already know.

Congrats to a well-run forum BeGreen.

Craig is the head honcho and forum runner here. He runs a good ship. I'm just your humble servant, but thanks for the good feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.