Older Hearthstone Stove - Help ID and buying advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
I'm looking at a used Hearthstone soapstone stove. No idea how old, it's got a side door and double front doors. Unsure of flue size, firebox is very large (ad indicates about 4+ cu ft, but you never know how people measure them). Stove has been stored for at least ten years. Price is reasonable. I'm trying to get an idea of:
a) how old and what model (older Equinox?)
b) if it would have a secondary burn capability (when did that start?)

If so, we're thinking of getting it in place of the Englader 30 in sig, as our house now is a tad small for the NC-30, unless it's -20 and a blizzard. We're thinking the soapstone might give us a more even heat at a lower temp for longer periods and allow us to actually sit in the living room in the evening. Since we just bought the Englander, we'd store it until we find our next house (2-3 years) and use the soapstone until then.

Thoughts on any/all of the above? You've never steered us wrong yet... Thanks!

Moose,

Sounds like an ancient Hearthstone H1. Run, and run fast. FAR AWAY FROM IT.

Seriously, you don't want that thing in your house. Unless you like burning 12 cords / year. and sending smoke plumes visible from the Hubble.

moosetrek said:
I'm looking at a used Hearthstone soapstone stove. No idea how old, it's got a side door and double front doors. Unsure of flue size, firebox is very large (ad indicates about 4+ cu ft, but you never know how people measure them). Stove has been stored for at least ten years. Price is reasonable. I'm trying to get an idea of:
a) how old and what model (older Equinox?)
b) if it would have a secondary burn capability (when did that start?)

If so, we're thinking of getting it in place of the Englader 30 in sig, as our house now is a tad small for the NC-30, unless it's -20 and a blizzard. We're thinking the soapstone might give us a more even heat at a lower temp for longer periods and allow us to actually sit in the living room in the evening. Since we just bought the Englander, we'd store it until we find our next house (2-3 years) and use the soapstone until then.

Thoughts on any/all of the above? You've never steered us wrong yet... Thanks!

You have any pictures? I bought and sold an old Hearthstone II without installing it, (just not the right fit/configuration for the house) and even on one that old (mid 80s) it had a plaquard on the back with the year, make, model, etc. Have you seen the back yet? Seems like the hearthstones would be pretty easy to identify. I believe the most common models of the newer ones might be the Heritage models which are the new version of the hearthstone II. I love the soapstone stoves and so do most of the people that have them but in terms of pure heat output and burn times, I don't think they really rank at the top of the list. The older/used stoves seem to hold a bit more value than other old ones due to the stone and the "romance" factor. I'm sure someone who knows more than I will weigh in here shortly, but I am just sayin! Also, check the forum's search function for hearthstone in terms of IDing stuff, it's really helpful!

Edthedawg said:
Moose,

Sounds like an ancient Hearthstone H1. Run, and run fast. FAR AWAY FROM IT.

Seriously, you don't want that thing in your house. Unless you like burning 12 cords / year. and sending smoke plumes visible from the Hubble.

Ha, there ya go! "Smoke dragon!"

Status
Not open for further replies.