older heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcoach

Dec 21, 2007
Central Virginia
I have an older model (1986) heatilator insert in my fireplace. When I had the chimney cleaned, all of the buildup accumulated on top of the insert and it was rather difficult to get all of the creosote out. There is no trap door located behind the unit. They had to vacuum up through the damper and still didn't get it all cleaned out. Should I let them cut the original damper out and then install a combination cap/damper unit at the top of the chimney? Any suggestions?

Udate.

This is a metal insert. It was built into the fireplace when the house was built. It has three tubes which run over the flame, but outside the housing. A fan brings in air and blows through the three tubes into the living space. The problem, occording to the sweep is when he cleaned out the flue, which is red firebrick, the built up creosote fell down to the top of the metal insert. There was no way to get out the built up residue without inserting the vacuum tube through the open damper. The damper angle didn't allow the sweep to remove all of the residue. So now the residue is lying on top of the metal insert and could possibly catch fire. He wanted to cut away the top of the metal insert where the damper is now in order to remove the built up residue in the future. The only way to do this would be to then put in a cap/damper combination. He also mentioned that in 1995 the state of Virginia put in a new "Code" that required these metal inserts to have an opening on the back of the chimney, above the metal insert, in order to clean out the creosote. This makes my house not up to "code". Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

In My opinion... Cap dampers suck.

They allow all of that length of chimney to still convect heat out of your house.

And what do you do when there is a foot of snow on top of this damper? or it is frozen solid?

I am confused as to what you have exactly... I don't know that Heatilator ever made wood inserts. So you actually have a wood insert? Or just an open "heatform" style fireplace. Can you post some pictures of your current fireplace? Is your chimney clay flue tiles or is it something like a 10" class A metal flue? Is the inside of your firebox thick metal, masonry firebrick, or thin metal with a brick refractory over it? Do you have air grills below and above the fireplace with fans in them to move air?

I think he has a heatform - the dampers on those tend to rust out....

I agree with backpack, as long as your existing damper can provide some service, don't get the top damper. Somehow folks (most chimney sweeps) have become convinced that adding the chimney to the room "envelope" is a wise thing - but it is not. It is only a last ditch effort. The best seal is at the bottom.

I got a PM saying the post was updated... so here I am. I am still really confused about this setup. Sounds like a heatform for sure but it just dumps into an open smoke chamber where junk can fall on top of the heatform box. Sounds scary to me, usually they hook right into a class A system or the clay tiles come right down onto the collar on the top I think. I have never seen one the way describe it. I would look into getting a full liner installed or maybe doing a wood insert. You will get MUCH more usable heat out of a wood insert than an old heatform unit. Again... a picture of the whole setup would tell us more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.