older Mt Vernon pellet stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazypine

Mar 1, 2010
south central pa
Hi, I was cleaning my Mt Vernon this morning and on restart the feed auger got jammed. A service tech had once showed me that I could reverse the red and black wires to "run it backward" to unjam it. I've done this in the past with great success. This morning when I did this the red wire accidentally touched the frame of the stove and arced. Now the auger no longer works when the wires were returned to there original positions. I traced the red wire and it appears to return to the control box on the lower left side of the stove. I'm also thinking that I ruined something inthe control box. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Neal

I would first look real hard for fuses that may have blown when the wire grounded.
Also check your owners manual for fuse locations.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. There is only one main fuse in the back that is intact. i traced the wire that arced and it goes into the connector and has a capacitor between it and the black lead. The black lead goes to one of the snap switches and then back to the controller. no fuses inline. Do most of the dealers have a "test" harness if i remove the control box and take it to them , so it can be tested? I would hate to plop down $350 if its not the problem. Thanks Neal

You might try by-passing the snap disk that is inline. Unplug the stove prior to by-passing thedisk.

Bkins

Bkins said:
Unplug the stove prior to by-passing the disk.

Bkins

He'll probably be unplugging the stove from now on before he reverses those auger wires. ;)

UPDATE:replaced the control box and everything is back to normal....... that'll teach me to be in a hurry on a monday morning. Thanks for the help, Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.