Q&A Older Sierra Stove and EPA ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello- I hope you can help me. I was recently given an older Sierra woodstove. It has no metal plaques or anything regarding clearances. I would like to get this installed in our cottage in LaHonda-CA. But- I am unable to find someone to install it and I am afraid that I might run into problems because it is not EPA certified.

Answer:

In the US- when a stove is unlisted or labeled- you default to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Assoc.) Standards. These are generally: 36" from sides and back Floor Protection 18" on floor in front of doors 12-18" around stove. I think you might find the NFPA online.... Some states use different standards so make sure you check with your building or fire officials.
HearthNet has a new article discussing stove clearances at the link below.

Link: HearthNet Clearance Article

Status
Not open for further replies.