Older Tarm wood boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I have recently come across a few older Tarm boilers for sale both on Ebay and Craigslist. I know you can only see so much in a couple of photos but several look to be in very good condition and claim to have been pressure tested with no leaks. Assuming this is true is there a ballpark figure of how much more wood I might consume in an older boiler knowing it's not a gasifier? 30% more, 50% more? When did Tarm first start manufacturing a "gasifier"? Two I have my eye on right now are a Tarm oil/wood combo unit and a wood/coal unit. My installer claims that the Tarm dealer in NH has a lot of parts readily available for older boilers if they are needed.

While I would love to have a new Tarm to gain the better efficiency and warranty, etc. it's very tempting to go the used route since I could purchase, transport and install one of these for much less than just the cost of a new unit. I doubt I would be considering this option if not for the fact I have a lot of wood available for very low cost.

I think I've read your efficiency will be 40-50% better with a gasifier. I'd bet that is best case though.

You might want to consider lead time if you're buying this year. It sounds like Orlan EKO's are about the only thing not on back order these days....this would further support your used strategy if you need one soon...

Used boilers are a crap shoot. There are no guarantees, and "pressure testing" doesn't tell you very much. The steel in the firebox may be paper thin from corrosion and the boiler would still pressure up--until you get it hooked up and the steel decides to fail in the middle of the heating season. Most welders won't even consider welding a leaky boiler. "Nothing to weld to" is how one guy explained it to me.

That said, I did buy 25-year-old boiler on Ebay a few years back and it worked fine for 3 years until I sold it to somebody else, who's probably heating with it right now.

But just so you know--appearances and pressure testing aren't very good indicators of actual condition.

Tarm started with the gasifier in about 1988. You can tell it from the others because it has a fan instead of a regular Samson or Ammark control on the front.

the PDF at the bottom of this page:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/HS_Tarm_Boilers/

will show you the MB series boilers. Most used Tarm WOOD boilers will be MB series.

These are good boilers and very unlikely to have leaks. I would not buy a used old gasifier because they could have leaks or thinning of the metal.

If you point me to a couple ads, I will ID the boilers.

As to efficiency, remember these are Euro designs and much better than the "box" wood boilers being sold here (then and now), so when burned hot they have a decent efficiency. They use cross or down draft combustion. They are fine for a serious wood burner to use in the colder weather - or, hook up to storage,

The OT boiler looks identical to one of the ones I saw for sale. Craig, I may pm you the links for your help. I estimate my heat loss at no greater than 85k...the wood/coal unit has a plate on it showing 80k. I don't think I'll initially have storage but I do plan on it down the road. With that in mind should I stay away from an 80K unit and look for something larger?

If I do get to see one of these in person can somebody walk me through how you would inspect the unit to be satisfied the steel isn't paper thin...looking for corrosion, etc? I'm hoping the much more experienced installer will be available to go with me but can't be certain of that.

I took a gamble and bought a 1988 Tarm Gasifier. The owner only used it a few years and It looked to be in good condition. So far it runs great and I have no leaks. I had to replace the condesor on the fan and just recently a small piece of refractorty on the front of the lower combustion tunnel has broken off. I think parts are still available for all of the Tarm boilers. If you can get one cheap enough and It looks to be in fairly good condition I say go for it. The boiler will probably pay for it self in the first year anyways. I always say "retail is for suckers" .... lol

muncybob said:
The OT boiler looks identical to one of the ones I saw for sale. Craig, I may pm you the links for your help. I estimate my heat loss at no greater than 85k...the wood/coal unit has a plate on it showing 80k. I don't think I'll initially have storage but I do plan on it down the road. With that in mind should I stay away from an 80K unit and look for something larger?

If I do get to see one of these in person can somebody walk me through how you would inspect the unit to be satisfied the steel isn't paper thin...looking for corrosion, etc? I'm hoping the much more experienced installer will be available to go with me but can't be certain of that.

Yeah, send me or post the links here. 80K would be the max, so that might be too small......

Status
Not open for further replies.