older VC Federal cat stove to Heritage upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strawman

Oct 25, 2008
Central WI
Just found this site a few days ago. Wish I had sooner. What a great site.
Little background. We live in a 1700 sq ft one level earth-berm home. Have been burning a '87 Dutchwest convection stove. Bought it used for about $400 10 years or so ago. The combustor was toast when we got it. It is the extra large model and we thought it was too big so we tried it without the combustor. worked better than the stove we had so we never did get one. I know we were not getting out of it what it was meant to do but it worked for us and wood is free. Time to move on. Have been reseaching and are really intrigued with the Heritage matte black Can get one locally that has been burned twice for 2300. Understand will have some relearning to do using this stove. Have about 16 ft of 7" clay lined chimney. Have to run now but would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thankx

Welcome. Sounds like Highbeam is the person you want to talk to. He has that model in that color. Do a search on Heritage threads posted by Highbeam and you'll get a lot of information on this nice heater. While looking, you might consider a Woodstock Fireview as an alternative in case this one doesn't work out.

http://www.woodstove.com/pages/wood_stove_fireview.html

we have been burning our heritage about a month now ,I think it will do all im expecting of it ,that is to stick it to the electric company ,we get good long burns and a impressive light show when the secondarys kick in...Soap stones da a wonderful job of giving off a constant soft heat..any one of the new epa stoves you consider will im sure will make you a happy wood burner...ZZZim

Status
Not open for further replies.