Older Vigilant Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towboat

Feb 24, 2006
I bought a VC Vigilant recently. Very good shape. I believe it is an early model. chrome handles and the date 12-1-77 and 12-28-77 are stamped onthe inside right side of the stove. The fireback has a horizontal crack the width of the stove basically cutting the fireback in half. It appears to be securely held in place. Any problems running the stove like this. Has anyone had any luck stick welding with a cast iron rod? Also. there are no baffle plates or fire bricks on the ends of the firebox. Do the Vigilants experience cracking at these areas. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks for the help. Walt

Some meta; workers welders can answer that question but it can be welded. Best to take it out and bring it toa welding shop.
The second point I would make, is to check out your gasketing the door gasket, damper gasket ant the top gridle cover gasket.
If you can seal things up right then you should be able to control that stove. If not sealed right it will become over-fired and you will have more welding to do. or warpage will ruin it.. Check out my wiki on this site on how to check out the seams of a uses stove

You can probably get the part - try Black Swan Stove in CT....

BUT, the fireback is an interior part and a small crack can probably just be either left or sealed with some furnace cement. It will not result in excess combustion air, just a little smoke (very little) taking a quicker way to the flue.

Get ahold of a manual for that stove if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.