Older Whitfield Quest auger help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra Boyd

Feb 2, 2012
Southwest CA.
The pellet screw will not turn to feed pellets into the hopper. I cleaned it out and it looks ok, motor is running but the screw will not turn. I don't know how to take the auger motor out/apart, to see if it is jammed. If it is not jammed, what else could be the problem?
Thanks so much
BodfishSandy

if the motor is running, but the auger is not turning, check the set screw that hold the auger to the motor, it might be loose. If the motor is turning, but the output shaft on the gearbox is not turning, then the gearbox is likely shot (usually caused by foreign object in auger tube, or the auger bushing getting loose and wobbly) If that be the case you'll need a new motor (gearbox is intigrated) but you must find foreign object or you'll be doomed to repeat. Motor should come off with just the 1 set screw to the auger shaft.

By motor... Do you mean the combustion (exhaust) blower running? And the auger is not spinning?

Does the unit have a vacuum switch?

Can you see the auger motor spinning?

On my 14 yr old Whitfield the auger will not turn at first when I fire it up, if I flip the switch a few times plop come the pellets. Weird but it works for me.

Thanks all
I'm a 64 yr. old lady on SS disability and I can't take the auger motor off. I read somewhere about using a wrench-type I guess u put in a hole, (lol) but where's the hole how do I turn the "set button". I wish I could afford to call service tech, but $100 just to come out??? Just remembered , its a allen wrench. lol (I need a picture of the inside to show me where the auger motor set screw is and everything else. Thanks anyway Sandy
P.S. Originally from Elyria area

Status
Not open for further replies.