oldschool better n bens insert need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeburner

Dec 3, 2008
southern ohio
I got laid off my job bought this insert for 25 dollars its just a plain jane firebox. Will spend more money on a better one when i get it but for now it will have to do. Couple of questions for a new burner tryin to keep the kids warm. have a rutland stove top thermometer on the top of the stove have to keep it about 700 degrees to keep the house warm what is to hot for this stove. at night i almost turn the air goin in off and turn damper almost closed. Is this right burning mostly ash at about 22 percent moisture.IT wants to just top the thermometer out unless i dang near thurn the intake off i shut it down almost all the way at 750 800 hundred just scared im gonna burn the chimney up. any advice for using this stove would be greatly appreciated

I would try to keep that beast from exceeding much over 700. Will it melt into a puddle, probably not. Will it make you nervous, probably. Your stack if using surface temp, should be ~200F or above or internal temp of ~350 or above (this is simply my opinion and many others will have different opinions). IF using surface temp (for the stack), start shutting it down at 400 or internal temps of 800F.

Make sure your install is to code. I think (but not sure) that you need to follow the 36" to combustible rule for that stove. That is a brick of a stove, but will heat everything in its reach to temps that will make your eyes get big. Make it safe for the little ones my man. You should have others pipe up soon.

Ash puts out alot of BTUs very quickly, but doesn't leave coals. Try to get your hands on some good coaling hardwood, such as hard maple, oak, cherry, etc. These will give good BTU output with less chance of runaway train.

i dont have access to get any temps off the stack. It doesnt have any kind of blower . I set up a box fan blowin across it and that helped alot. i am just at a total loss about the intake and the damper controls everybody talks about the new stoves on here and it kind of leaves me in the dark

He, he, he
Using a Better n bens stove, you are already in the dark(ages) :lol:

All stoves are different. Even the same stoves with different stack configs will act different. Thats one of the reason that a blanket answer to so many questions is difficult.

Keep playing with the stove. Keep posting questions. We will all be along for the ride with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.