"Ole Black Betty" hits passing gear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Reloaded the 30 yesterday. Gave her lots of air to get rolling. Got distracted, and before I knew it she was just a rippin. Stove top temp was cracking 800 and the secondary show was spectacular. Remembered a discussion on here recently about regaining control by opening the door. It was amazing, once open, within 15 seconds the brakes were "grenated" and she settled right down to a respectable burn. Have been on the learning curve since "Betty" moved in. Really like er' so far though. This winter is gonna be alot warmer here because of er'

Love the name, sounds like the start of some thing, I guess my Summit would be Red Hot.

I am diggin the name Rotti.... :)
I have had a few "pause and reflect" moments with my 30, he is a beast.
I tried the open door thing too, works good but a lil nerve racking.... :ahhh:
Once I moved the box fan into the stove room and put it blowing right at the stove, that worked.
My husband just installed the blower on it this week.
The last "pause and reflect" moment, I turned on the blower and that really worked the best. I have not found the need to utilize the blower yet though. Maybe when it gets really cold out I will turn it on.

GAMMA RAY said:
I am diggin the name Rotti.... :)
I have had a few "pause and reflect" moments with my 30, he is a beast.
I tried the open door thing too, works good but a lil nerve racking.... :ahhh:
Once I moved the box fan into the stove room and put it blowing right at the stove, that worked.
My husband just installed the blower on it this week.
The last "pause and reflect" moment, I turned on the blower and that really worked the best. I have not found the need to utilize the blower yet though. Maybe when it gets really cold out I will turn it on.

Betty is backed into the hearth 1/2 sticking out. Got the rear mounted fans (own design&build;) working from behind. Put a small personal fan floor level 20' away,blowing directly @ er' . that evened the temps all the way to the other end of 1500' sf ranch style. Getting a 10 to 12 hr burn cycle on er' and have only been running on shorts,scrubs and uglies till now. Seem to have gotten on to this EPA stove thing for the most part. Big body of the 30 carries heat for quite awhile.

I did the same thing this morning! Woke up reloaded the stove left air open to get going started breakfast and a pot of cofee forgot about air then it was like a OH Sh@$ when it hit me went to the stove stove top was around 725 shut the air all the way down cracked the door and about 10 minutes later stove dropped to about 615 and has been cruising nicely since.

Ok I decided my name sucks, changing it to "Red Rosey", and now for the trivia question of the day, why do we give our stoves womens names? :cheese:

oldspark said:
Ok I decided my name sucks, changing it to "Red Rosey", and now for the trivia question of the day, why do we give our stoves womens names? :cheese:

Don't know. I call mine Brownie. Should I upgrade the name to Girl Scout?

and now for the trivia question of the day, why do we give our stoves womens names

Who knows thats why the same rule is applied to boats, vehicles, bikes and up until recently hurricanes LOL

If you think about it the answer is easy. My weak attempt at humor.

What changes on your stove when the door is open?

If I open mine with a decent fire going it will rumble the stove and pipe like a helicopter is landing on the house.

It may be different with the CAT stove but on mine anywho it still takes off with the flames when you open the door but the flames are no where near as hot as the coals that get glowing with the door shut. Dont know the logic or science behind it I just know it works. I read it somewhere on here and never had to try it until today and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.