Olson's new house build is going hydronic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've got to give kudos to SupplyHouse.com. I was able to place a large order for all the components in my system 2 days before a major holiday, and I received them in less than 24 hours. At no additional cost to me. Amazing. I saved a stupid amount of money compared to the local brick and mortar supply houses near me, and I was able to place my entire order from my smart phone. Their mobile site is a touch slow, but that could have also been my connection speed as I am in a rural area. I definitely will be using them again in the future.

And no, I dont have any affiliation with them, their workers or by any other connection. I'm just seriously impressed by their selection and their service.

That said, there will be pipe fitting and picture taking going on tomorrow as I dive in to setting up my boiler room inside.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I also got started on the staple up radiant tubing yesterday. It took a little trial and error to perfect a method but I'm getting faster at it. The first run (32' long joist bay) took us 45 minutes. The last run I put up today took 15 minutes. Given that I still have 25 of the long runs and 10 short runs to do, I've got a solid 2 days of running my pex loops. Maybe it'll go faster, I can hope. I'll show some pics of that too.

5bcbc58042986535320e781bbb680fc0.jpg
fc179e714f175a23a3b96ac2540c54a4.jpg57a55ddf1a376f4039cfb17ba5e61c70.jpg432fe886801a20489eadba32e616e47d.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle
I did kind of forget to share some updates. System is far from complete, but I'm getting closer. The cieculator hanging from a piece of romex wire is some temporary heat we rigged up so we dont freeze while working in the basement. It will get relocated to the supply manifold when I'm ready to fill system and pressure test.

The basement circulator will be a Taco 007, the rest are 008 deltaT variable pumps.

Underfloor tubing has been going well, when I have time to work on it. Ended up.being 70 heat plates short so I'm waiting on more plates to arrive to finish. All said, I'll have 2300 ft of tubing under the floor, 2900 ft in the entire radiant project. It's divided up into 2 manifolds of 4 loops each and also a 2 loop manifold I'm the garage for the slab radiant.

One concern I have right now, and I'm not sure of my exact culprit is incoming water temperature is low. The aquastat on the boiler is reading 175 +/-, but my thermometer on the supply line just inside my house is only reading 135, which I confirmed with my IFR thermometer. I'm aware that I am losing some heat to uninsulated plumbing on the back of the boiler, but 35deg seems extreme. I'm going outside to remedy that problem right now. I'll make a temp shelter and insulate it. Next year, a proper boiler shed will be built and everything permanently insulated then

My temperature issue ended up being a combination of three things: dieing Honeywell pump, incorrect OWB plumbing and bad thermometers.

The Honeywell circulator gave up the ghost one night and after swapping it out with a 007 I had sitting around, my temp jumped 5 degrees right away. I've left the 007 on, though I think it might be undersized still for the job. The Honeywell came pre-installed on the OWB and I never knew enough to check it out for proper sizing, and now that I do, the ID plate is too faded to read. Back burner for now

As for the plumbing, I never hooked up my stove when I bought it, and when I moved houses, I hooked it up same way. I have a Ridgewood stove, and both supply and return ports are located near bottom of water chamber. After disassembling the back of the stove, we found that the return side turned 90 outside the stove, ran up to the top 1/3, and then went into water chamber. So we were pulling water off the bottom and returning to the top. No wonder we couldn't get hotter water to the house. Switched supply and return around and gained another 10 degrees

As for thermometers, don't buy cheap because that is what you get. We finished install of system after Christmas, and upon initial fire up, we found that our temp coming out of heat exchanger was hotter than what the incoming boiler thermometer claimed was being supplied. With OWB in the 160F range, we're getting 140F out of the heat exchanger. I see a consistent 30degF temp rise through the heat exchanger on my heating system, so I'm pretty stoked about that part. That said, I don't know what the actual incoming boiler water is at the house as I don't want to drain down anything right now to replace it. I'll wait til spring for that.