O'Malley pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven20

Dec 18, 2008
Baltimore
Has anyone tried these?.....There out of Tappahannock Va......I work in the trucking business....I can get them delivered for 210.00 a ton (a friend of course)

I have not tried them, but if their anything like the Turman Hardwood pellets that I got out of VA, then they should be real good.

I like this blurb from their site also:
O’Malley pellets have the advantage over most brands because our wood fiber comes from our 3 hardwood sawmills here on site. We, unlike most brands do not have to buy and bring in any outside raw material. We only utilize the wood waste that comes from our in-house sawmills. By doing this, it allows us to have a strict quality control program that we can monitor very closely. Our wood fiber has little to no chance of hitting the ground, thus avoiding contaminants like rocks, dirt, and other debris. By having our hardwood sawmills, we can guarantee clean, consistent, and top quality Hardwood Pellets.

The Turman pellets have been my best so far. They get their sawdust from their own hardwood flooring plant. Let me know how they do?

Will do Code......Question.......I was using Stove Chow pellets and decided to try Freedom Fuel....After a bag of the Freedoms all my brick turned black.....was this because of the change in pellets?

Were the Chow pellets longer and hardwood?

When I opened my first bag of Freedom Fuel. I was surprised at their size. They were the first pellet that I burned that were so small in diameter and overall small in length. If you can, you might need to change your settings from the pellets that you burned before. The Freedom Fuel are all softwood and very small. Your auger may be feeding many more than your other pellets causing a richer burn ratio and thus the black.

Yes the Chows were longer....the Freedoms are all very consistant in size about a half inch....Any advise on what to use to clean the brick?.....Thanks

I was just skimming through a Sante Fe manual to check the panel. Is your brick ceramic or cast?

My stove has a cast brick panel. So far I just use a paint brush to clean the ashes off. Wipe is down with a brush or cloth and then after adjusting burn for the Freedom fuel, it might burn off. At the end of the season I was going to use a soft wire brush. If your panel is ceramic, then I would not suggest that.

Raven,
I've burned almost a ton (42 bags) and these are great. My first ton was pellet pro. The o'malleys are just as good. Not alot of ash and great btus. I'll be buying another ton soon, although not for $210.

I can't speak to the quality since we've only had our stove for 3 days now but we have these pellets. You have a good price on them. They cost 299 a ton in Delaware and they won't even let me buy more than one ton. At the rate we're burning through them, I need to find some pellets somewhere soon!

- Rosemarie

When I bought the stove (used) the seller said he has always used the O'malleys......I've been using Hamers the past 4 bags and absoulutly love them.....I'll be trying Lignetics next....

Do you buy local or have them shipped to you? I also want to try the lignetics but I'm finding its very hard to find ANY kind of pellets around here. Very short supply in Delaware. I don't know if that's always the case but I'll surely buy in Spring for the next heating season.

I buy them from Courtland hardware.....They have 3 stores Belair....Fallston....White Marsh Md....The Belair store shouldn't be to far from ya.....

Hmmm....mapquest says its a one hour 45 minute drive. I'll have to check the other locations and see what I can find in MD that might be directly across from Dover. I don't know why we have such a pellet shortage here.

A bit far to buy pellets......How far do you live from Clayton?

Southern States in Clayton has pellets....227 School Ln Clayton De 19938 302 653 6633.....I just called them they have them

rgros said:
Hmmm....mapquest says its a one hour 45 minute drive. I'll have to check the other locations and see what I can find in MD that might be directly across from Dover. I don't know why we have such a pellet shortage here.
e

Hello,
I live in Dover and have used a pellet stove(same one actually) since 1994. There really aren't too many places to buy from locally. I'm sure you are aware of the usual suspects like Walmart, Lowes and HD. I'm guessing that you are also aware of Bylers as well. Bylers is going to probably be our best bet as the season moves on as the others mentioned will most likely, if not already quit stocking this seasonal product. As mentioned and a new source to me as well, there is the Clayton SS. There are also some stove dealers down south in Milford and Greenwood that will probably have stock.
This is by far the worse season as far as availability goes that I have witnessed. I believe that the reasons are no different than for any other part of the U.S. Bylers will usually get it's shipment in on Tuesdays and or Wed. and you better be there the moment they start selling and this is usually anywhere from 12 to 22 tons. The only other sources that I can think of locally is Tractor Supply down around Camden and the new Redners grocery store in north Dover. Redners is very high however with bags priced around $7.95.

Thank you for the sources!!! The Southern States wants about 330 per ton. I bought my stove from Walls Farm and Garden and ordered a ton when we purchased but they won't let me purchase more...I guess due to supply. I did find out from Byler's that if I purchase pellets from them, I'll get on a mailing list so that I can purchase as many tons as I want in April for the next season. I questioned the store rep on price and he said last April they were selling them for $199 a ton. I'm going to make sure I get on that list!!!!

I've gotten lucky this afternoon and found someone on Craigs List selling pellets. Just a few bags under a ton for only $174. We're picking them up this Thursday. So glad to not shell out over 300.

Thanks for all your info and advice everyone.

- rosemarie

I just started my third ton of O'Malleys. I have to say they have done a pretty good job heating my home, but I'm a newb, so I might not know much yet. I have to clean out the stove every 2-3 days and at 3 days I get a sizable clinker out of the pot. (QuadraFire Castille insert). I see comments about other stoves having a dial setting - I don't have that. I have a 3 position switch for auger/blower speed, and a mechanical slider adjustment for pellet feed rate.

I burn about two bags a day, and my oil burner only comes on when it gets really cold (like last week when we hit -1 in the Hereford Zone). So I guess the O'Malley pellets do the job. I just assumed there would be regular required cleaning, just like burning logs in a fireplace. I expect I'll try samples of other pellets, looking for the perfect burn. How many bags make a good sample?

I got the first two tons from Courtland, along with the stove, and the third from Shrewsbury True Value. It's better than paying for oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.