O'Malley pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

referee38

Mar 27, 2011
Eastern Pa
Has anyone heard of these they may just be a local pellet in the eastern Pa area. They have them locally for 205.00 a ton.

Although there have been a few members who liked them, they are considered to be a below average pellet....not great heat output. Might be OK for very early fall or very late spring burning.

As always, buy some bags to test burn before buying any large quantity.....everyone's stove/setup burns different.

Check Jay's testing results here:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

Out here in the western part of Oregon we dont see very many different brands.

Golden Fire
Bear Mountain
Hot shots
Blazer

Sometimes we see Lignetics and on occasion we will see Blue Mountain

Every so often one of the Big Box stores will bring in an eastern brand, but its usually a one time thing.

We had some called Heartland that we bought back in 93-94 season. These were a pine pellet and really burned good, clean too and made the house smell nice.

Most of what we get here are all made from Douglas fir

When we were using the Quad for most of the heating chores we just bought whatever was the cheapest by the ton and went with it.

The only thing I noticed was that some brands would form more clinker than others.

The deciding factor for us was Bottom line $$$$$$$$

A couple times, I was able to go directly to the mill with the big truck and buy several tons during the summer at reduced prices.

Never even seen any hardwood pellets out here other than the stuff thats marketed for the cooking smokers like the Treager units.

Snowy

Hey ref38, don't know where you are in eastern PA you may want to try Great American Pellets locally made in Palmerton. I've been burning them from March on they pump out a lot of heat I know that Jay Man has done a test and review of them and gave them high praise. They were them same price range as the O'Malleys.

Thanks for all the information this will be my first winter upcoming with a pellet stove.They also sell Hamer's for 215.00 a ton and Lignetic's for 215.00 a ton and Barefoot for 239.00 a ton.

With those options at those prices, do not even consider the O'Malleys!!! Spend a little more and go for the Barefoots. $239/ton is dy-no-mite!

Well I am getting two tons with my new Harman P43 but i went and bought a ton of Hamers tonight. I paid 215.00 for them.

hamers are good and thats a good price too.

With shipping prices the way they are right now I can not see a retail location having pellets shiopped over 400 miles. I know shipping is around $2.50 to $3.00 a mile right now. That can work out to $25 - $30 a ton to just get them to the retail location. Guess who pays for that?

Eric

referee38 said:
Well I am getting two tons with my new Harman P43 but i went and bought a ton of Hamers tonight. I paid 215.00 for them.
Congrad's on the new stove Harmans will burn just about pellet you put in the hopper, and you already have a 3 ton stash for next season you're loving life my friend.

Congrats on the stove. We just spent our first season with a P68 and love it. The first ton I put through it was O'Malley's ... they were OK, decent heat with a lot of fine ash. I bought two tons of Hamer's after that. The Hamer's pumped out a good deal more heat with much less ash. The price you're getting them for is very good. They're around 240-250/ton in Central PA right now. I found a mom & pop hearth store selling Turman's @ 215/ton and jumped on three tons. Best of luck with the stove. We're having a ball with ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.