OMG! Pine firewood for sale?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
I thought you couldn't give the stuff away?

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

p.s. He does have a small pile of Ash for sale too.

Nothing at all wrong with Pine, I burn 1 - 1.5 cords every year during the shoulder seasons for smaller hot fires. It certainly won't hold a fire like seasoned hardwood or tamarack but it is fine as a firewood.

Wow. Nice and straight too. People get too hung up on species. Cottonwood, pine, cedar, and poplar can all get the stove just as hot as oak. Maybe not for quite as long but you won't be cold.

'Round here, pine is the cheapest c/s firewood available. If a seller charges $300 / cord for oak, he prolly charges $150 / cord for pine. But lots of sellers have it.

Lord forgive me for this one . . .

I heard you shouldn't burn pine since it will lead to chimney fires . . .

and Armageddon, sterility in males and baldness.

:) ;)

TreePapa said:
'Round here, pine is the cheapest c/s firewood available. If a seller charges $300 / cord for oak, he prolly charges $150 / cord for pine. But lots of sellers have it.

add $50 to both of those prices for my area. That is why I scrounge.

firefighterjake said:

Actually, Pine alone is relatively harmless. Its pine mixed with some stupid that leads to chimney fires,Armageddon and sterility....i'm not sure about baldness though.

firefighterjake said:

Hair on your palms and blindness too, I hear.

Pine is great for the shoulder season! Nice quick hot fires. Season in like you would the rest of your firewood and enjoy a wood that can take the chill off without cooking you out in the fall/spring.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Pine is great for the shoulder season! Nice quick hot fires. Season in like you would the rest of your firewood and enjoy a wood that can take the chill off without cooking you out in the fall/spring.

-SF

Sooo what should I use to heat in the cold of winter? Poplar or spruce?

North...
According to btu charts you would be better off using the spruce for the shoulder season and using the pine to heat with. I can't find poplar in either of the charts that I have but cotton wood is below spruce. If there is tamarack in your area or black (choke) cherry you would better off using them for the heart of winter.

LLigetfa said:

If it is cut and split I wouldn't give over $100 per (full) cord for it. In log length it would be half of that. I like to sleep at night not get up several times to feed the fire or wake up shivering.

Cave2k said:
LLigetfa said:

If it is cut and split I wouldn't give over $100 per (full) cord for it. In log length it would be half of that.
Of course prices vary around the continent, but around here the Ash fetches $100 in log length. There is no other use here for Ash so no competition from mills. Birch goes to a nearby OSB plant but I don't know what they pay. I suspect that substandard wood the OSB plant would reject gets sold as firewood.

Most of the Pine here goes to the local kraft mill and gets chipped up and cooked in digesters. Some goes to sawmills. Not sure what the mills pay but I always thought is was more than wood burners would be willing to pay. I never thought anyone would compete with the mills for Pine. I certainly never heard of anyone around here buying Pine for firewood.

My comment "you couldn't give the stuff away" was not related to commercial harvesting but rather residential cleanup.

We were out to Idaho two years ago Elk huntin and pine was the only firewood we could find for sale

We've got a big chip mill, but they won't buy residential wood. Down here tree companies landfill pine trees. Noone here would dare burn such a lowly wood as the pine ;-P. I've been meaning to try some myself, but just don't have the room right now because I'm drowning in red oak.

drdoct said:
Down here tree companies landfill pine trees.
The small residential tree removal guys aren't equipped to grind up big stuff but the big forest operations are. We have a huge biomass boiler that will burn anything once it's ground up but I don't think they pay very well for biomass.

tub_grinder_action.jpg

firefighterjake said:

It's worse than that.

Burning Pine is that last major hurdle standing between humankind and world peace.

Cave2k said:
If it is cut and split I wouldn't give over $100 per (full) cord for it. In log length it would be half of that. I like to sleep at night not get up several times to feed the fire or wake up shivering.

Don't take this personal, but you either need a bigger stove or more insulation in your home. Maybe you are just sleeping more than 10 to 12 hrs to wake up to a cold house. %-P (All fun intended) Pine is our oak/choke cherry up here. Ive never had to reload in the middle of the night unless it is -50c. I will burn a little oil at this time and still leave the stove on its low setting to get the burn time through the night.
N of 60

Status
Not open for further replies.