? on clearance between gas furnace and pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookthefish

Nov 29, 2009
North East Ma
I have a question on clearances listed on pellet stoves.

What I have now in my basment is a 2005 forced hot air Natural gas furnace that has PVC intake and exhaust. On the right side of the furnace, I have a Hot Blast wood and coal add on furnace connected to the older chimney with a 6†stainless steal hard piped liner with clean out door. ( not the cheaper flex liner)
When I had the Hot blast instaled the inspector said it had to be 6†away form each other. ( Hot Blast listed clearance to combustables 6â€)

Now I would like to remove the Hot Blast furnace and put a pellet stove in place of it, but the listed clearances for most bigger pellet stoves that are 50,000 btu are 12†and up form combustables. I would not be able to move the newer stove over a foot because it will then be in the way of the walking path to my electric panel and Hatch way door.

My question is, A metal cased Natural gas furnace, Is this legaly considered as a combustable surface?

My furnace tech dose not belive that the Gas furnace is considered as a combustable because it has a incased burn camber then insulation an outer metal casing.

Its all about your code enforcement officer if pulling a permit. Then its your insurance company. Then the equipment/manufacturers requirements.They both have various viewpoints if an install goes bad in the future.
Its not what anyone here has to offer as an opinion. I would get a signed statement concerning your install.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.