On Demand Plate Hx

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABC1

Oct 26, 2008
CT
Can I just use a 5x10 30 Plate Hx for on demand HW with a Tempering Valve rather than configuring to use my Oil Fired DHW Heater as a tank? The circulator on my OWB runs all the time so I would think I have enough capacity.

my 5x12x70 will raise the temp 50 degree with incoming water pretty hot 180 and the tank at 110. The challenge would be incoming well water at 55 to 120 in one pass might require constant high temps ( You may be ok but I run from a tank most of the day) but I would use the HX planning site to see what size you would need to get a 65 degree rise at 3-5 GPM on the 55 degree side. Probably not happening with a 30 plate. You do have a very high temperature difference working for you.

See the sticky s for the HX planning site , plug in your temps and flow rates and you will see what size. You might want spare capacity so the house stays warm when everyone is lined up for the shower :)

I use a 5 x 12 16 plate (I think its a 16) for hot water in an on demand arrangement. I don't have any problems feeding a single DHW load and keeping water hot enough to take a hot shower down to heating system water temperatures of 14 or so. I can get away with 130 for my show, but my wife complains it's not hot enough. Based on my experience, I would say a 30 plate would work just fine for your system, perhaps even feed more than 1 DHW load. I don't typically use more than 1 DHW load as I have a well and it can't really keep up with 2 showers at the same time. Keep in mind, you have 55 F water coming in to the plate at around 1 gpm or less and the heating system flow is probably 5+ gpm depending on your system layout and pump selection.

Since your pump is running all the time you have a simple hook up. I set min up so the heating circ runs on demand (either DHW or heat), the DHW flow switch has been the only item I've had trouble with.

Status
Not open for further replies.