On my last leg

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you get it resolved by PE soon. It's an odd one. I would think they'd want to analyze exactly what's up with this stove to avoid it happening to another.

Hmmm, I have an Summers Heat 30, brand new, maybe a trade for your stanky Summit. Worst case, I'd take the beast to the paint shop stripped down, havem blast it, then repaint it.
I would press PE if I was you. Its hard to think its a production paint problem, I am sure they roll down an assembly/ paint line, and why are there no other similar complaints? I just don't know.
You shouldn't have to do anything but receive proper service to repair, repaint or whatever is needed. I forget, but does the warranty say anything about the paint?
Sorry to see you going through this brother.

Take the heat shields off of that Summit and see if there is a screwed up weld out-gassing something funky. I know the first thing I smell anywhere near a welding shop is the hot metal smell of the wire out-gassing. Most likely a piece of wire slag stuck to a weld.

A shot in the dark but as good a guess as anything else. That robot that welded it ain't got eyes.

Thanks Hog and others,
I hate being cranky about stoves, and for about 3 weeks I was crankier off the job than on the job. Not good......
Now I am breathing a little sigh of relieve because I truly feel it is the stove, not me, not the pipe, not anything around it. Like I said before I am not 100% sure but I am starting to feel a little better about everything, hell even life in general. It is funny how a stove that is not working properly totally put me in a bitter mood. I owe my wife a ton of roses and I need to spoil my little guy for a trip to Toys R Us, this is how bitter I was last week.
I have a wonderful father that knows my stoves and splitting wood are very important to me to relieve stress. He didn't even blink when I asked him if I could grab his new stove from his cabin. Hope I can be that good to my son.......

I will probably be a little more patient to the PE guys, I hope they help me out with the Summit, still love that beast! :coolsmile:

BrotherBart said:
Take the heat shields off of that Summit and see if there is a screwed up weld out-gassing something funky. I know the first thing I smell anywhere near a welding shop is the hot metal smell of the wire out-gassing. Most likely a piece of wire slag stuck to a weld.

A shot in the dark but as good a guess as anything else. That robot that welded it ain't got eyes.

I will take a look, thanks for the post BrotherB, I feel the "love" here........ :coolsmirk:

I was kind of hoping that PE would tell you to return the stove for a new one. PE has everything to gain from that. Ask the dealer to submit a formal request to the company and copy you on it.

I will tell them in a couple days it is the stove, I hope they just take it away. I hope for good service, I think my best bet is too call PE again and tell them I have been burning another stove and no smell. That should be all the info they need to get that stove and see what the problem is. The stove is waiting for them to grab.......

I agree...IF it is the stove it should be PE's loss not yours.

Did you ever have the dealer in there to confirm the smell?

Hell, take it to the dealer and have him burn it in their showroom, so he can experience the stink. Then press for a new stove.

This is a wierd one for sure...

Gunner said:
I agree...IF it is the stove it should be PE's loss not yours.

Did you ever have the dealer in there to confirm the smell?

Hell, take it to the dealer and have him burn it in their showroom, so he can experience the stink. Try to swap it out with one of there burnt floor models?

This is a wierd one for sure...

This dealer does not burn his wood stoves in the store, a little annoying. He has a gas stove going, that is all. He never came and after waiting a long time in my book and a couple of call backs I decided to grab my Dad's new stove and burn it. The dealer can come and grab the stove themselves, I think they owe me at least that....... Time will tell.....

I would go to the dealer with sales reciept in hand and explain the situation to him,face to face
& tell him you gave him perfectly good money that was not defective but that he gave you a defective & totally unacceptable stove & ask him what he intends to do about it;because something needs to be done.

Dont be afraid to tell him face to face that he should be ashamed of himself & has failed in his
responsibilities to you, his trusting customer.

Some people need to be lambasted but good, to get them to pay attention & take appropiate action.
Here is the story of something similar that happened to me ,just after chrismas.

HOW & WHERE NOT TO BUY A NEW SET OF TIRES.

I has a similar problem with a NEW set of 4 tires from TOWN FAIR TIRES. THEY KNOWINGLY SOLD ME A SET OF 4 NEW TIRES IN WHICH TWO OF THE TIRES WERE FACTORY THIRDS AND OUT OF ROUND AND CAUSING A TERRIBLE VIBRATION AT 65 MPH THAT COULD CAUSE LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE CAR and early wheel bearing failure. They had bad tires that they were hoping that i was stupid enough to accept so that they could off them on me at full price.

We are talking about the certainty a wheel falling off a car at speed, if I had keep those tires on the car for any length of milage.

One tire was camming up & down & the other tire was camming side to side.
I went back and told them of this & instead of replacing the two bad tires like I ask them to do, they do another free wheel balancing when I told them the tires were out of round & camming & that wheel balancing would not help, even a little bit.

I TELL THEM SO ,NICELY & THEY NO LISTEN. seriously assholes, are they.

Next time I went back, I was not at all nice or polite to them & i yelled & told them that they were wrong & then they listened & i told them that it all coud have been avoided if they had only listened to me the first time.

BUT,They insisted on rebalancing the tires & so I let them & the car was worst that before, just as I had forewarned them of.

I went back the next day & told them I was driving a two cycle chain saw without a vibration dampening handle. I told them instead of helping me that they put new problems into my car
& made a good car nearly undrivable. That they should be ashamed of themselves ,that they should never have allowed tires in that condition to ever be installed on any customer's car, for whatever reason . I gave your perfectly good money that there was nothing wrong with but there is plenty wrong with the tires that you gave me in return for my good money.

1 cams up & down while the other cams side to side, and that that amount of run out of true is totally unacceptable & will cause a premature wheel bearing failure on two wheels & prehaps a big accident,loss of life & a huge lawsuit.

SO, AFTER LISTENING TO MY COMPLAINTS , & i told him that I was not at all happy about the tires or about how i was getting treated there as a cash customer, he did not say a word to me,he just pull two new tires off the rack & write out a work order for the tire changers to install them on my car.

So,I go in the back to watch what they doing to my car & fellow comes & says I can't be there in work area & I tell him the whole story & say ,I want to see for myself that these tires run true & don't cam because I had enough hard time with new troubles that they put on my car. So he backed off & I stayed to inspect the replacement tires.

I did not trust them not to put a second pair of out of round tires on my car.

NOW, I MUST GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE TO BE FAIR. They replaced the defective tires
with good tires that I am happy with but I am pissed off about the run around that they put me through before they rectified the problem.

AND I AM WORRIED THAT I MAY HAVE DONE PREMATURE WEAR DAMAGE TO MY WHEEL BEARINGS ,ON BOTH FRONT & REAR AXILS, WHILE RIDING ON THE CAMMING TIRES.

POINT IS , sometimes being polite does not work, you have to stand up for yourself & be nasty,
just to get some drug addict ass holes attention & make him do the right thing.

TOWN FAIR TIRES, not very good. I would never purchase anything from them ,ever again.
And yes, i was bitter about the experience for a whole month.

I appreciate the advice, being a Police Officer I have no problem being sharp and looking at people face to face. I also have no problem lecturing them or giving them a tongue lashing. The funny thing is this guy knows I am a Police Officer and don't know why he does not give me better service. He is always nice to my face but I guess he is bad at returning calls. I always have to be professional because I represent more than just my last name.

I am actually burning both stoves outside right now, ripping the temps up, giving it one last try to see if there is still some curring involved. After today I will bring them in and burn it, If I still smell blah with the Summit and not the Englander, I know I have done everything and beyond what I should do to prove a point. I am hoping this company listens. If not then I will take it to another step.

Thanks again to all, man what a journey. :smirk:

Update #3

Looks good right now, yesterday I put both my Summit and Englander 30 outside all day and burned them as hot as I could, it seemed that I could only get the temps to 600-650F with the pipes that I had (68 inch adjustable double wall on one and 4 feet of single on the other stove) but so far the Summit is inside and at about 500F there is no smell. I don't have the blower hooked up right now but I am thinking the outside burning might have done something. I have burned the Summit hotter inside but does it take more for the stove to burn at 650F with 4 feet of pipe outside than 800F with 17 feet total inside?

Who knows maybe the smell will come back but for now it is all smiles :lol:

Don't know if I will attach the blower, maybe something on that? I have used the stove with the blower off and unplugged in the past and had a smell. I did notice a lot of dust in the blower when I took it off, it can't be that easy to say it is the blower could it?

Thanks again to all

Take a look at my new pic, I teach Defensive tactics, this is part of escaping from a front choke..... :wow:

Maybe its possible you just weren't reaching the high temps before to fully cure the paint. I can't understand why or how, but in the end, if you don't have the smell anymore, thats what counts.
Did you look her over real good, make sure no slag/wire, crack, leaks etc. while you had it out?
Maybe something with blower, who knows. I hope this does the trick for ya, even if ya are a cop. LOL
Since your a brethren Summit burner, I won't go there.
Congrats for now, hope its a solid problem solved.
Let us know how it goes.
If it starts up with the blower re-attached, you now know your problem. Where does the blower attach on the freestander?
Have you tried smelling around the blower housing itself while off the stove to see if you smell the same stank?

I'll smell the blower just to see, might be.

Hey I am a Ranger, the good cops in the woods...... :coolsmile:
Yep, I hope this is the end of this problem, it is nice just sitting here with the wife (little guy asleep) and enjoying the stove again!
Now after a couple more days of good burning, I'll adjust the hearth pad again, back to where it was. There might have not been enough curring, but I burned it 750-800F stack temp for a long time, thought that would be enough....Either it took the outside burn to work or it is the bloody blower, who knows, and I guess who cares for now :smirk:
I do miss the blower, it really helps to heat up the room quickly, no worries if it is the problem I'll buy a different one.

I guess I am back to the Summit brotherhood! Sweet!

JFK said:
I'll smell the blower just to see, might be.

Hey I am a Ranger, the good cops in the woods...... :coolsmile:
Yep, I hope this is the end of this problem, it is nice just sitting here with the wife (little guy asleep) and enjoying the stove again!
Now after a couple more days of good burning, I'll adjust the hearth pad again, back to where it was. There might have not been enough curring, but I burned it 750-800F stack temp for a long time, thought that would be enough....Either it took the outside burn to work or it is the bloody blower, who knows, and I guess who cares for now :smirk:
I do miss the blower, it really helps to heat up the room quickly, no worries if it is the problem I'll buy a different one.

I guess I am back to the Summit brotherhood! Sweet!

Okay, okay , since your a Ranger, I can deal ;)
No smell at all so far?
I am thinking, Is it possible your stck temp was higher then the stove box temp? and you weren't actually reaching the 750 range on the stove itself, but only at the stack, hence, stove no really fully cured, and now it has?
ANd, did you smell "the" smell when you burned it outside at all?
Lemme know when your settled that its ok and your keeping the Summit, I'll have them send you back your secret ring. ;)

The night before my wife and I went to Mighty Taco and a movie (WOW our second movie in a year!) and I was thinking that my stack temp was not curring the stove to where it needed to be, when I put the gauge on the stove and heated it up outside that might have done it. I guess for my Summit, 600F stove temp is hotter than 750F stack temp for a single wall. Plus I burned it hot for about 8 hours straight. I now have double wall so I put one gauge on the front and one just in front of the pipe. Seems to work so far :lol: Live and learn

All those temps you were quoting before I thought was stove top temps.... you gotta put it on the stove when you are trying to cure stink off the stove itself.

Has anyone noticed the dealer did not help here, and did not seem to have a clue?

If you think about it, the people who have great dealer support don't need to come here :)

I guess that's why there's not many of my customers on here :)

So far only one that I know of has joined to complain and it was quickly resolved.

That's the thing that makes us good in our businesses, we are interested in the people, the money takes care of itself.

swestall said:
Has anyone noticed the dealer did not help here, and did not seem to have a clue?

Sad to say, some, maybe alot, not saying all.... dealers don't know sheet, except how top sell the stove. After that, forget it.
Mine was like that. I knew I was installing, and knew I would not be going to them for anything further than a purchase.
I can't stress enough that this stuff must be researched, researched again, then planned out.
I don't even get my gaskets from the selling dealer. Honestly, I don't expect to ever see/talk to him again. I served the purpose of a purchase from him, he served the purpose of a place to purchase.
Thats as far as it goes for me. Tom will be getting the rest of my business. And if the shipping would not have killed buying from him, I would have bought the Summit from him also.

I'm with you there too. Tom is right there. I'd have gotten my Mansfield from him as well if we were closer.

jtp10181 said:
All those temps you were quoting before I thought was stove top temps.... you gotta put it on the stove when you are trying to cure stink off the stove itself.

wish I would have talked to last year :coolsmile:
You rock!
Bravo!

Hogwildz said:
swestall said:

Sad to say, some, maybe alot, not saying all.... dealers don't know sheet, except how top sell the stove. After that, forget it.
Mine was like that. I knew I was installing, and knew I would not be going to them for anything further than a purchase.
I can't stress enough that this stuff must be researched, researched again, then planned out.
I don't even get my gaskets from the selling dealer. Honestly, I don't expect to ever see/talk to him again. I served the purpose of a purchase from him, he served the purpose of a place to purchase.
Thats as far as it goes for me. Tom will be getting the rest of my business. And if the shipping would not have killed buying from him, I would have bought the Summit from him also.

That makes three of us Hog. Tom, Corie from England Stove Works, and others that have helped me on this Forum will get my business from now on. Even with the shipping, I would buy a stove from Tom or Corie anytime. I think 2 big stoves in my house is good for now though ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.