On my last leg

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JFK said:
Hogwildz said:
swestall said:
Has anyone noticed the dealer did not help here, and did not seem to have a clue?

Sad to say, some, maybe alot, not saying all.... dealers don't know sheet, except how top sell the stove. After that, forget it.
Mine was like that. I knew I was installing, and knew I would not be going to them for anything further than a purchase.
I can't stress enough that this stuff must be researched, researched again, then planned out.
I don't even get my gaskets from the selling dealer. Honestly, I don't expect to ever see/talk to him again. I served the purpose of a purchase from him, he served the purpose of a place to purchase.
Thats as far as it goes for me. Tom will be getting the rest of my business. And if the shipping would not have killed buying from him, I would have bought the Summit from him also.

That makes three of us Hog. Tom, Corie from England Stove Works, and others that have helped me on this Forum will get my business from now on. Even with the shipping, I would buy a stove from Tom or Corie anytime. I think 2 big stoves in my house is good for now though ;-P

Wow such a big stank over a simple problem. If , and I hope, if it was the problem. Crosses finger.
I think they might make ya wait a couple weeks for the secret ring since ya pulled such a bonehead snafu. ;)
Maybe there should be an burners apprentice program. J/k ;)

Hogwildz said:
swestall said:
Has anyone noticed the dealer did not help here, and did not seem to have a clue?

Sad to say, some, maybe alot, not saying all.... dealers don't know sheet, except how top sell the stove. After that, forget it.

Sadly, I'm getting the same feeling about Congress. But JFK, I'm glad to hear progress happening.

BeGreen said:
Hogwildz said:
swestall said:

Sadly, I'm getting the same feeling about Congress. But JFK, I'm glad to hear progress happening.

Congress? Didn't that used to mean a bunch of Americans, that represented their fellow state Americans for their best interest?
New Dictionary reading should say:
A person/persons who are supposed to represent the working class, poor and all other citizens in their State/ County/ Town, to protect and guide their interests in the best course possible for the citizens they represents well being. BUT, merely represents those who offer the most money/incentives, thus basically whoring themselves off to the highest bidders (yes plural, one is not enough), special interest groups, and corporations, whom can further their political career & personal wealth & power at a faster pace than that if they actually did what they intended/ promised to do.
Seems even stove dealers (not all) are just out for th initial buck, then on to the next buyer. No money in actual service or troubleshooting, so those calls go to the line that is never answered.

Alls well that ends well...still there's no way possible that stove should have stunk for that amount of time. That mystery still has to be solved.

In my entire 25 years selling stoves, there were only a few possibilities for this type of smell.

1. Paint not fully cured - despite what customer thought.
2. Burning and frying DUST. This has been talked about here before, the burning metal smell.
3. Related to #2, but both dust and the outgassing from other things in the home, which they gets superheated by the stove and smells.

None of these is the fault of the dealer or the manufacturer. But it does take a bit of "faith" and a relationship between the customer and dealer....because luckily my customers always beleived me when I told them the solution(s) and cause.

Typical example of how little problems become big ones when not addressed properly by the chain of seller/manufacturer.

How long would it take for the maker or dealer to create a one page document which talked about this problem?...a tech bulletin! Most customers would be assured if they saw the problem and solutions in writing.

You recently made me aware of the dust factor and it makes sense because because that type of smell can also be detected occasionally in forced air systems with real dirty airducts...mostly after real intense remodeling projects.

Bump......... update ?

Gunner said:
Bump......... update ?
Yes, inquiring minds want to know. And I do too ;)

So far OK, I still get a little at 550-600F so I am still a little worried. I can put my nose on the stove and smell that damn stink (burned my nose a little) :p
There is a good chance I am going to buy an Olympic and move the Summit to the Living Room hoping to heat my entire house with both stoves. At 500F no smell which is good enough for now :coolsmile:

JFK said:
So far OK, I still get a little at 550-600F so I am still a little worried. I can put my nose on the stove and smell that damn stink (burned my nose a little) :p
There is a good chance I am going to buy an Olympic and move the Summit to the Living Room hoping to heat my entire house with both stoves. At 500F no smell which is good enough for now :coolsmile:
sounds like it was curing ....get it up to about 700-750 on the stove top and it will prooly dissappear.... don't be afraid ... i have been there.. saw the front of my smmit insert hit 800 been over 700 more than a couple of times don't just try it i thik it will be gone.....
oh i can always try it for you ... i need another summit..lol!!

YUP, get it hot. If you haven't settled it down yet, bring it back outside and get it up there for 8 hours or so and then put it wherever you want it to be when you are gone.

About that CONGRESS thing guys. It is repulsive what has happened in the span of our lifetimes. I could hardly believe my ears when I herd a Senator interviewed recently. He was asked how he would vote on something; would he vote as his constituents felt or for his views. His reply was that he would vote what he felt was best for his constituents because he knew the issues and could make better decisions.
Well, that is the problem here. We have a President, Senate and House that is voting the way they want it rather than the way the people want it. And, they find a way to arrange the vote so it comes out the way they want.
In the beginning of this democratic experiment a bunch of folks got to gether, figured out what they thought they'd like, the representative went to Washington and voted that way.
BY THE PEOPLE: all gone......

JFK said:

Bring that sucka to my house, and lemme run it @ 850-975 for a few weeks, that should get rid of that smell once and for all..... :p

swestall said:
About that CONGRESS thing guys. It is repulsive what has happened in the span of our lifetimes. I could hardly believe my ears when I herd a Senator interviewed recently. He was asked how he would vote on something; would he vote as his constituents felt or for his views. His reply was that he would vote what he felt was best for his constituents because he knew the issues and could make better decisions.
Well, that is the problem here. We have a President, Senate and House that is voting the way they want it rather than the way the people want it. And, they find a way to arrange the vote so it comes out the way they want.
In the beginning of this democratic experiment a bunch of folks got to gether, figured out what they thought they'd like, the representative went to Washington and voted that way.
BY THE PEOPLE: all gone......

WOW that really veered off topic. But for what its worth, I have no confidence in mobs (i.e. "the people"). Sure elected officials can do and say a lot of stupid things, but so can mobs. Here’s some great quotes about democracy:

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
~ Winston Churchill

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
~ Benjamin Franklin, leader of the American Revolution

"We are a Republican Government. Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of Democracy... It has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity."
~ Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury to George Washington, author of the Federalist Papers

"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
~ John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
~ Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States

"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death."
~ James Madison, 4th President of the United States, Father of the Constitution

"The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived."
~ John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States

"Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos."
~ John Marshall, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, 1801-1835

FINAL UPDATE!!!!!

OK, I ran it to 650-700F and the curring smell I can confidently say is gone.

Things that I have learned out of this

1. My stack temp with single wall was a lot higher temp reading than my stove temp reading, therefore giving me a false sense that I curred it entirely.
2. Double wall was worth every penny.
3. Always, always trust the Big Guns on this site when they tell you it can't be the stove, it has to be a curring problem. (No matter how stubborn you are)

When I get my next stove, probably an Olympic this week, I might just do all the curring outside so I can avoid this problem, and many arguments with my loving wife. :red:

I am closing the Book on this, Thanks to all, and I mean all...... :lol:

Well alrighty then glad to hear that's all cleared up...last week a poster submitted a pic of a new stove burning outside on a wagon, guess they didn't want the new stove smell indoors either.

When I get my next stove, probably an Olympic this week,

ROTF.......Oh no, not a replay I hope. Big Grin....have fun with your new stove and a good selling
point for the old one would be that the paint is full curred.

Status
Not open for further replies.