1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

On Pace To Burn 4 Ton This Year, Biggest Ever!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bschrager, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bschrager

bschrager Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    Little history, bought a house 6.5 years ago that came with a Whitfield pellet stove, main source of heat was oil At first I used the pellet stove as a novelty since I didn't know much about them, oil was also $1.85 a gallon back then. I was also hesitant to use the pellet stove when no one was home or we were sleeping.

As oil prices rose more than double over the years I started to put more faith in the pellet stove. The stove will keep 75% of my house heated beause of my open floor plan and stairs leading up to the second floor, for the last 2 years I burn 5pm to 5am every weekday, then from Friday 5pm straight till Monday 8am. With this years cold weather I am on pace for my biggest year so far, looking at about 4 ton as I have already burned 125 bags.

With the pellet stove I would still burn oil to keep the other 25% of my house warm and for hot water. On the coldest months I would only burn 90 gallons of oil when I would hear of people using 200+ gallons a month. I've since converted to natural gas for the rest of my heat, hot water, stove, and now a gas dryer. 5 week gas bill was $150 plus 25 bags of pellets. The pellet stove was saving me a good amount of money compared to the oil and now with the gas I cut what was the oil expense in less than half.

I've been burning Green Supreme's @ $209 a ton all year, heat has been great and ash level much lower than last year.
    Thaddius Wenderoth likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    GS's don't have a good rap around here... i've never used them. Green Teams get better reviews. You may find that you would only burn 3 of a better brand.
  3. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    You get a good feeling when you can keep the oil man away. I have not bought any oil in 2 years.

Keep up the good work.

Tom C.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I only burned 120 bags last season. Pretty sure I am about there now. Normal season is 3.5 tons(175-178 bags). I started the season with 180. Burned 83 so far. ;hm

Could be I need another excuse to buy more pellets? :p
  5. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    I like the green supremes they give off good heat and the ash is a little high but i clean my stove every sunday and at 185 ton from the box stores its great I usually burn a bag a day but with the cold weather went to 2 bags a day. and would rather burn 4 bags a day then use OIL