On rabbits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
We were at the butcher shop this morning and they had rabbit on sale.

I picked one up and the wife was a bit leery thinking of the kid and said, "You're cooking it. Her favorite animal is a bunny."

*shrug* "Fine, no big deal."

On the way home...

Me under my breath: "Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit!"

The wife: "Stop, you're getting annoying."

A little while later:

The wife coming around to the idea: "What do you think about having the rabbit for Easter dinner?"

Me: *Fist pump and high 5 to the wife for the Easter Bunny idea!*

I love that woman!

I've never understood why so many are so resistant to such a delicious meat. 4-H always had rabbit husbandry, and, like poultry, swine, cattle it included the relevance of meat production. I'm definitely not "all about meat" at every meal, but there is something special about thoughtfully prepared meats.

Poultry and rabbits/guinea pigs(!) make a lot more sense in meat production than do swine/cattle; less space, less feed/water, and a much shorter production time.

Reactions: osagebow
My favorite small game hands....or dyed foot on a 70's keychain, down. Would raise them if I was in a less predator heavy area.

Had a rabbit dinner in a restaurant in Australia some years ago. M-m-m-m-m-m! I loved it. A few years after that I had Emu in a restaurant in Hong Kong. Ditto on the Emu, delicious.

or dyed foot on a 70's keychain

In high school I worked in a dry cleaners. One of my jobs was checking pants pockets before the stuff went to the back. I absolutely hated those damned rabbit's feet. :mad:

I just discovered rabbits have pretty much decimated this year's blueberry crop. The little darlings have chewed the bloom bud stems right back to the central leaders.

I wish someone would have eaten these bunnies back in the fall.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
:mad::mad:

In high school I worked in a dry cleaners. One of my jobs was checking pants pockets before the stuff went to the back. I absolutely hated those damned rabbit's feet. :mad:
Find anything else interesting? :cool:

Reactions: Bobbin
we eat rabbits regular around my house. (During rabbit season)There are less every year :(

We buy one once in a while during the rest of the year. Our rabbit dinners are rotated with any squirrels i happen to shoot. I couldn't care less about their feet! I cut those off with sidecutters. Rabbits skin quick,,but watch out for hair in the meat. Squacks are more fun to peel. We do still fly a tail on antenae once in a while.

For now we'll stick to the chickens, just layer's. But, a dozen birds give us way more eggs than we can eat (roughly a dozen a day right now) so we sell the excess for $3 a dozen and that pays for their feed and up keep plus a little extra.

Thought about raising rabbits or meat birds for dog food (I make my, well his, food) figured rabbits have a quick turn around but I don't think I'd like having to do the whole slaughtering part.

For now we'll stick to the chickens, just layer's. But, a dozen birds give us way more eggs than we can eat (roughly a dozen a day right now) so we sell the excess for $3 a dozen and that pays for their feed and up keep plus a little extra.

Thought about raising rabbits or meat birds for dog food (I make my, well his, food) figured rabbits have a quick turn around but I don't think I'd like having to do the whole slaughtering part.
That dog would live good! Make the dog kill his own food? My dog would love to be thrown a live rabbit every morning!

She used to have a white easter rabbit as a buddy,,,but she played too rough one day and killed it. Then she felt bad, and carried that rabbit around everywhere she went for a week,,,never ate it. She hunts for wild rabbits now,,catches one once in a while,,,dinner!

We have a bunch of chicks under the heat lamp. A big coon tore our chickens up till last week, when he was finally caught and got justice dealt to him,,,,,

That dog would live good! Make the dog kill his own food? My dog would love to be thrown a live rabbit every morning!

She used to have a white easter rabbit as a buddy,,,but she played too rough one day and killed it. Then she felt bad, and carried that rabbit around everywhere she went for a week,,,never ate it. She hunts for wild rabbits now,,catches one once in a while,,,dinner!

We have a bunch of chicks under the heat lamp. A big coon tore our chickens up till last week, when he was finally caught and got justice dealt to him,,,,,

This dog lives a better life than most humans already.

First, I don't think he'd kill a rabbit, he's buddies with just about anything alive. When this batch of chickens were just days old he stood guard over their box, sure, he got a few in his mouth, but he did no harm. I think they all imprinted on him, cause now they follow him around everywhere outside, too funny.

IF, he did catch and kill a rabbit, the mess would be unbearable, he can't eat out of a bowl without getting it everywhere.

Just lost a chix the other night. Thinking coon or possum, time to set the trail cam back up. Stupid birds are free range, but cooped at night, every so often one gets lost, or trees itself and doesn't make it in to the coop. Now that's it's warming up a little the predators are on the move.... Bad news for chickens.

Rabbit is good meat, many years as a kid that was a main course.

Squirrel is another really good one.

People think they are so cute, but both are pests.

I still prefer deer over all other because you get a lot of meat from one hunt.

The wife coming around to the idea: "What do you think about having the rabbit for Easter dinner?"

You sir, are my hero! Tell your wife she is awesome.

My wife tried deer when we were dating, and liked it enough that she would eat it. A few years later, she even got where she would come out while I was cleaning one. It took me a lot longer to get her to try squirrel, cause it was "like eating a cute rat".

She will not eat bunny, but she doesn't mind if I get one while hunting if I cook it and feed it to the kids. She will NEVER, EVER, EVER let me have rabbit for easter (did I mention never).

I love rabbit. We used to raised them for meat when I was a kid. I would guess we had 20-25 to kill every fall and dad would keep 2 to 4 female in the winter time and just borrow a male in the spring to get the rabbit mill going again. It is a good meat. But I think they are overpriced in my area, the wife buy one now and the. And it is 20-25$ !! Too much money for me at that price I prefer bison, yak or elk. We sjould start a chicken coop in the near future, and after that will see , maybe a few rabbit, and who knows.... A few yaks and bisons :p.... That would give me a nice excuse to buy a tractor and build a 40x80 barn !!! Finally, I love the. Rabbits !

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Status
Not open for further replies.