? on switching to a smaller bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redskins82

Feb 5, 2010
Alabamy
I've got a Poulan Pro PP4620AVL (no need to laugh, I'm poor and it was inexpensive) with a 20" bar that Oregon's website says uses a .325 pitch, .050 gauge, and 78 DL chain. Everything else I've read confirms this. In the future I'd like to go to a 16" bar, I'm guessing I need .325 pitch, .050 gauge with 66 DL chain. Is that the correct number of drive links? I'm confused since the 20" chains of the same pitch come with 72 and 78 drive links. If the pitch is the same it seems like the two different number of drive links would change the length of the chain.

fyrwoodguy said:
16"=66 drive links should work for you

+1 and should run much better with the 16in.

Stick a 24" bar on there and let it fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really tho make sure not to get a safety low kickback type chain for the 16".......................

southbound said:
Stick a 24" bar on there and let it fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really tho make sure not to get a safety low kickback type chain for the 16".......................

That's funny! Being a carpenter I'd like to get a big saw, monster bar, and mill. I'd hate to see how lousy the saw I've got would do with a 24" bar.

I'm going to get a chisel or semi-chisel chain. As smokinjay said, I was thinking a 16" bar would perform better plus it'll be cheaper and less filing. A 16" bar and chain also would have made 99% of the cuts I've made.

Thanks for the help. This is a great website.

Going to a place like Baileys or one of the other big on-line shops would probably be a good way to get both the bar and the right size chain for your saw, in the correct style... Going to a smaller bar will definitely help, at least if you go small enough - not sure what size that Pull-on is, but the rule I like to follow is 3-4cc of engine per inch of bar... Possibly push it a little bit, but not much, so I'd want to at least a 45cc engine for a 16" bar...

I know my little 36cc Pull-on went from anemic at best with the stock 16" bar, to a good cutter when I put a 12" bar on it - though that had the downside of making me need to do more reaching to make a cut, and the thing still weighs darn near as much as my Dolmar and shakes more...

Gooserider

I know my little 36cc Pull-on went from anemic at best with the stock 16” bar, to a good cutter when I put a 12” bar on it - though that had the downside of making me need to do more reaching to make a cut, and the thing still weighs darn near as much as my Dolmar and shakes more…

Thats sounds even better..

Gooserider said:
- not sure what size that Pull-on is, but the rule I like to follow is 3-4cc of engine per inch of bar... Possibly push it a little bit, but not much, so I'd want to at least a 45cc engine for a 16" bar...

I know my little 36cc Pull-on went from anemic at best with the stock 16" bar, to a good cutter when I put a 12" bar on it - though that had the downside of making me need to do more reaching to make a cut, and the thing still weighs darn near as much as my Dolmar and shakes more...

Gooserider

It's 46cc's, so I'm just under 3cc per inch if I go to a 16" bar. I figured about 50cc was the minimum I'd be satisfied with. I've had it about 5 years and maybe have 200 hours of use on it. I used it a lot the first two years and the past 3 years only about 20 hours a year. It's been a decent saw to me. Last fall was the first trouble I had. It stopped oiling one day and I think that warped the bar. I know the bar is warped. A straight edge confirmed it and I can see it when I look along the length of the bar. I ran a few tablespoons of gas through the oil tank and it oiled fine the last time I used it. I've never flipped the bar or filed the rakers but that will be done in the next few days. I never knew about flipping the bar until I came to this website. It's only the past year I've noticed it's not chipping as well. Taking the rakers down ought to help that a lot. And yes, I'm still using the original chain. So a good chain ought to be a nice improvement. I don't think a 16" bar will make much of a difference with my reach. I cut near the power head most of the time.

Once again, thanks fellas. One day I might grow up and get me a quality saw but for now I'm going to get everything I can out of what I've got.

Redskins82 said:
Gooserider said:
- not sure what size that Pull-on is, but the rule I like to follow is 3-4cc of engine per inch of bar... Possibly push it a little bit, but not much, so I'd want to at least a 45cc engine for a 16" bar...

Gooserider

It's 46cc's, so I'm just under 3cc per inch if I go to a 16" bar. I figured about 50cc was the minimum I'd be satisfied with. I've had it about 5 years and maybe have 200 hours of use on it. I used it a lot the first two years and the past 3 years only about 20 hours a year. It's been a decent saw to me. Last fall was the first trouble I had. It stopped oiling one day and I think that warped the bar. I know the bar is warped. A straight edge confirmed it and I can see it when I look along the length of the bar. I ran a few tablespoons of gas through the oil tank and it oiled fine the last time I used it. I've never flipped the bar or filed the rakers but that will be done in the next few days. I never knew about flipping the bar until I came to this website. It's only the past year I've noticed it's not chipping as well. Taking the rakers down ought to help that a lot. And yes, I'm still using the original chain. So a good chain ought to be a nice improvement. I don't think a 16" bar will make much of a difference with my reach. I cut near the power head most of the time.

Once again, thanks fellas. One day I might grow up and get me a quality saw but for now I'm going to get everything I can out of what I've got.

Right on!

Redskins82 said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Sounds reasonable - in theory a 15" bar would be your optimal size, but they only seem to make bars in 2" increments, at least I've never seen an odd number length bar... 14" would put you over 3cc/inch, which isn't bad, but is overkill, and will get into the area where the lack of reach becomes noticeable. 16" is still giving you 2.875cc/inch, which is close enough not to matter...

I also tend to agree that the 45-55cc size saw seems to me like the best size for an all-purpose saw, big enough for bucking most of the wood the average user will run into, small enough to be OK as a limbing and small stuff saw, and a reasonable weight to work with.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.