On the fence over Oslo or Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mossycup

Dec 4, 2010
Northern Illinois
We are located in north central Illinois and our house is a late '60s built, 1500 sq. ft., single story (8' ceilings), fairly open layout and we are planning on installing either a Castine or an Oslo.
The house is currently heated by radiant electric ceilings and we would like to lean away from using it except if/when needed in the bedrooms and more toward using the stove for our heating needs. We like things a little cooler so we keep the thermostats around 63-65 degrees. We are also adding more insulation to the attic space to bring it up to date (also to take advantage of energy tax credit with a stove purchase). The house is 2x4 construction and insulated to 1960s standards, windows are excellent shape single pane with good storms. Basement is getting hydronic under a floating floor since there is no residual heat from any appliances (all electric house).

Based on the the specifications I've found, the Castine should meet our needs. In researching the two models, I see a trend to go with the larger Oslo for over night loading and more convenient 24/7 use. I have not found too much information by Castine owners so I have come here to get more opinions and experiences. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

I am not familiar with the Castine, except for what the brochure says. I would encourage you that if you are looking to go 24/7 an Oslo is on the margin if you are looking for hot reloads after 10 or more hours. I am burning oak and 8-10 hours is about the limit of being able to reload without a full kindling restart. I can find a few coals buried in the ash after 11 or more hours, but that almost is like a cold restart. Therefore, I would say you would probably not even get this long with a Castine. I am sure that Castine owners will chime in to provide their experience.

The Oslo also has a side door which I use exclusively for loading. If the room where the stove is to be located is large, or you can move the heat to the other parts of the house fairly well, you probably will be able to use the full capacity of the Oslo. Also, during the typical 6 hour burn cycle, you are only getting the full output for a couple hours and than it slowly drops during the coaling stage. When it is cold out, 20s or below, I like to add wood at 3 to 4 hour intervals so as to keep the heat output at a high level. (Note: you have to be careful not to create too hot of a condition when adding wood to a hot stove with a hot, deep coal bed.)

Both the Oslo and the Castine are high quality stoves.

My house is a bi-level approximately 2200sqf Castine on first floor . Open stairwell to upstairs . Burns 8 hours no problem reloading on a bed of coals at 7 am when packed at 11pm the night before. Upstairs stays between 60* and 70. Lower level between 69& 80* Oil burner comes on at 6 am or 60* which ever comes first on the colder nights for about 20 miutes. The Castine carrys the load for the remaining 23 hours. WE also like the cooler upstair bedrooms. I am ok with burning oil a bit during the coldest months Jan & Feb. Your house seems smaller so I'm confident the Castine will suit your needs. Just my opinion, remember lots of variables Good dry wood, good insulation, etc. Best of luck on which ever you decide you'll be happy.

I have the castine helping to heat a 2500 sqft reasonably well insulated home. I can keep the furnace off if I'm attentive. The downside is that it only provides ripping heat (above 500) for about two hours. I can put a load in around 10pm and still have coals in the morning. To light another fire I usually need to put some kindling on top and blow on the coals a bit.

If you wanna do the 24/7 thing, then get the bigger stove.

summit said:

+1

Also, since you are not much farther south of me here's a tip our stove dealer told us: Whatever the stove is rated for, subtract 25% given our weather pattern.

We have late 1950's ranch, semi open concept, stove is centrally located, 15' insulated SS liner. We are doing 24/7. Right now we are burning silver maple (seasoned well, but not the highest BTU rated wood) and have small coals in the morning after an 11 pm stoking.

Shari

Good info so far.
I have access to, and annually prep a good supply of seasoned oak, hickory, and a bit of other assorted hardwoods.

Another factor I just learned in reseaching the F 400 Castine is it's picky for very good draft. Our situation is going to call for removing an old Cemi insert and removing the floating hearth so we can position the stove on the floor closer with the proper shielding. We are going to reface and cover the old brick and insert hole with stone.
With this in mind, we are planning to go straight out the back of the stove and into a T cleanout adapter (I assume I'm on the right page) and up with stainless through the exterior, masonary 8x8 tiled chimney.
I understand a 15' min of straight run is neccesary and this will be just about what we can pull off now. I need to get the measurements and make sure the existing chimney is to code...it's pretty tall and Lurchy looking on the edge of the low pitch roof so I expect it is close if not quite correct. We have some spalling issues that are going to be worked on in the spring so we can always run the pipe to length and have the brick brought up and capped higher if needed.

Are there any Castine users that have a similar arrangement and would advise against this stove because of draft issues?

Additionally, I have seen quite a few reviews of the F 500 Olso in smaller, possibly less efficient homes. By running the stove at it's ideal efficiency in a reasonaby tight house (we have no duct work either) are we going to cook ourselves out. I don't want to starve the stove.

Oslo. It will give you a lot more flexibility and is probably only a few hundred more than the Castine.

Oslo . . . I almost always recommend figuring out your spacing needs and then going one size larger . . . far, far more people complain about under-sized stoves than they complain about stoves being too large for their home. You can always build a smaller fire in the larger firebox vs. building a larger fire in a smaller firebox when it is filled to capacity. As for cooking yourself out . . . you control the heat in how often you load, how much you load and what you load (i.e. loading more frequently and filling the firebox with primo seasoned wood = lots of heat for a long time vs. loading less frequently, using lower BTU wood/smaller wood and not filling the firebox = less heat for a shorter time.)

Also . . . 1960s home with 2 x 4 walls (limits you to the amount of insulation there) and single floor . . . the Oslo should have no problem heating the place with some strategic placement of fans.

Thanks so far!

So in the case of the Oslo, is it possible to reach a clean, efficient 400(500)+ operating temp by using the same amount of wood that the Castine would need to acheive the same performance or does the larger firebox need more fuel to pull off the same operating temps. All I can gather is that the Oslo can achieve a higher BTU ouput because of sustained capacity and longer durations between loading.
Obviously split sizes, wood species, and a learning curve all have an effect on the stoves performance. Please bear with me.

mossycup said:
Thanks so far!

So in the case of the Oslo, is it possible to reach a clean, efficient 400(500)+ operating temp by using the same amount of wood that the Castine would need to acheive the same performance or does the larger firebox need more fuel to pull off the same operating temps. All I can gather is that the Oslo can achieve a higher BTU ouput because of sustained capacity and longer durations between loading.
Obviously split sizes, wood species, and a learning curve all have an effect on the stoves performance. Please bear with me.

I think you will find the Oslo has a higher rating since it is bigger . . . more mass = more heat generally . . . plus with the larger firebox you get more fuel inside and more fuel = more heat. I suspect it may use a bit more wood . . . if you fill it to capacity.

Thanks firefighterjake.

We just visited the local dealer that sells Jotuls and he seemed to think that as long as the optimal operating, high temp window is reached, maintained for a while, and secondary burn is occuring, then it can be brought down right in line with the capability and output of the Castine and still maintain an efficient burn without cooking us out or becoming a smouldering issue.

I'm still reading everything I can in these forums. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input.

I'd say go with the OSLO. The side loading is very convenient and agree with other OSLO owners from other forum posts that loading from the side once the stove is going is all they do. I installed a new OSLO (blue/black enamel) about 4 weeks ago and it hasn't disappointed us yet. I replaced an old better-N-Bens stove I had for 25 years. I burn the OSLO around 400-450, which is in the recommend efficient range for this stove. Sooooo much cleaner burning then the old Bens. I had looked at many stove brands and models now for the past year and settled on the OSLO. Had considered a Pacific Energy, as I have 2 friends that have them, however both have had to replace parts in them less then 5 years old. I bought from the same dealer where I origionally purchased the Bens. Very trustworth and knowledgable dealer. I know of others that have OSLOs for several years and have never had to replace parts.

mossycup said:
We like things a little cooler so we keep the thermostats around 63-65 degrees.

Along with everyone else, I'd say Oslo, except for the above statement.

If you really like your house at 63, the Castine will be fine. I thought I was happy with having our house in the high 60's but having added the Oslo as our second stove this year, I am learning that 74+ feels really nice! Our house is similar to yours and I think the Oslo would be the best choice.

The Oslo is the best choice, as the BTUs will be appreciated. It is the very reason you want a wood stove.

summit said:

+2. I also like the look of the Oslo. Really classic design.

Thanks everyone. We ended up going with the flat black Oslo and I'm just waiting for the grout to cure so I can finish hooking it in.

I agree that the 63 temp range may falter to the warmer capabilities of the stove (my wife is going to love the mid 70s), I might just have to jump into some shorts and a tee as I sweat like a pig...the mid 60s are just fine for me, but a warmer house is minimal torture compared to unzipping a silly monthly heating bill;-)

Congrats!! The Oslo will be a good stove for you. Like, apparently, the Castine, the Oslo needs a very good draft to function well. My previous stove, a PE, did very well with a 14' straight up chimney. The Oslo would hardly run with this chimney - it would sometimes take up to 3 hours (and a full load of very dry wood) to get the stovetop up into the 400's!!

The Oslo now runs on a 19.5' chimney. Now I can start the fire in a cold stove and have temps in the 4 - 500's in about 25 minutes - 35 minutes if I use bigger splits.

Cheers!

You will love this stove. Nice small fires in fall and spring. 24/7 all winter long. Our steam heat has not gone on except when we were gone for Christmas.

mossycup said:
Thanks everyone. We ended up going with the flat black Oslo and I'm just waiting for the grout to cure so I can finish hooking it in.

I agree that the 63 temp range may falter to the warmer capabilities of the stove (my wife is going to love the mid 70s), I might just have to jump into some shorts and a tee as I sweat like a pig...the mid 60s are just fine for me, but a warmer house is minimal torture compared to unzipping a silly monthly heating bill;-)

The best choice. Enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.