On the scrounge again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
Scored a little this and that. One guy had a couple branches cut off a pine, it was all tangled together and kind of a pain to take. Still, it'll burn next winter for me. Another guy had some seasoned rounds that were surprisingly light. I still have to split it and stack it, so we'll see what it looks like on the inside.

It wasn't a lot of wood, but it was some good exercise. And, I got to look at a yard that is set up almost exactly the way I would like to set mine up. That gave me some good ideas about paver patios. Win/win/win.

One other thing. I was picking up some bricks from this lady who tore out her whole chimney and fireplace that was centrally located in their new-to-them 120 year old historic house. Why it almost made me tear up as I stacked some of that nice antique firebrick in the back of my truck.

I find its the little things in life that bring happiness :)

Call the supervisor of your highway dept. They are usually in charge of tree trimming and removal. See if you can go to your town's drop off site and pick away. Better yet...have them drop it in your driveway like I do!!!!! Can't hurt to call and ask...I get at least 2-3 drops a year from my town....:)

Reactions: 7acres
Folks around here burn too much wood unfortunately . . . even in the "big city" . . . when I make a "raid" on the wood dump usually all I find is white pine and willow (which of course I will burn . . . but it's not my two most favorite woods for burning.)

I cannot tell you excited I get when I spot some maple, birch or even . . . believe it or not . . . some oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.