On the scrounge, hit a payload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
Taking the kids to school this morning, I saw a neighbor having a tree taken down in the front yard. I asked the crew if I could have some wood, they said sure. Got back home, took out the baby seats and cleaned out the back of my Explorer and headed back to the neighbor's house. They had limbs up to about 8" and down to maybe 2" in a little pile by the road. I filled up the back about halfway and that's about as far as I was going to take that load.

It's just before lunchtime, so when I was on my way back for more I asked them if they wanted some tacos. Yeah sure! $20 later, I had a couple big boxes of tacos and sodas, and all the different kinds of fresh salsa the taco shop had. Bonus... the food is great. I picked up a little more wood, and the owner of the tree service calls me over. You want some more wood? Sure, I said.

He says, right around the corner is my house. I got more wood than I know what to do with. I had a neighbor I gave wood to, and he's all full up now. He can't take anymore. If you want it, you come get some any time you want. It's all bucked up hardwood, no poplar or cottonwood, I just bring home the good stuff. Wow, thanks!

I just drove past his place and there must be four cords there. I told him my back is the limiting factor, so I'll just come by and chip away at it as I can. No problem he says. Come by any time.

Today's load is a pile of oak limbs. Hey, free wood is free wood, right? I'll take it.

A couple tacos go a long way, I guess.

No pics ...........? I need pics of the Tacos - they sound perfect.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Pics! IMAG0351.jpg IMAG0352.jpg

Hey, I should really ask about this. Some of those limbs are only an inch or two across. Do I have to split them? If I have to split 1-2" limbs, it's really a lot more work than they're worth. What is the smallest diameter limb I would still have to split?

The other thing I was thinking about is those limbs look to be about the right size to use with a Texas physicist's iron fireplace stacker.

The previous homeowner had a couple paper bags full of wood chips on the wood pile, too. I'm guessing he used it as a firestarter. As long as homey's going to be dumping out his chipper, I suppose I could fill up a couple shopping bags with wood chips to use as firestarter. Does that help? I've been using cardboard flats from boxes to start my stove. Maybe I could cut down on the cardboard if I threw a couple handfulls of wood chips in with the wood. It all burns, right? I just don't know if it's worth bothering to do it.

Last edited:
Nice work! Amazing what asking can bring! As for the rounds - I don't mind leaving round up to about 5" in diameter (although I do split a lot of these too) - just have to plan on letting them dry for a longer period. Cheers!

Pics!View attachment 126523 View attachment 126524

Hey, I should really ask about this. Some of those limbs are only an inch or two across. Do I have to split them? If I have to split 1-2" limbs, it's really a lot more work than they're worth. What is the smallest diameter limb I would still have to split?

I wouldn't split anything 2". Three. 3 1/2 yes. What you can do is run a hatchet or Fiskar's on the side of the small stuff to peel off some bark. Will help speed the drying quite a bit.

Looks like pin oak. I'd split them once. They dry more even and faster.

I split nothing under 6. If the chips get dried good they do make good fire starters.

I guess I could use them in the fireplace, too. It's definitely harder to start a fire in the fireplace than in the stove. Well nothing ventured nothing gained. Next time I go to the market I'll bag everything up in paper and have a few sacks available for wood chips. Wonder how long it will take for a bag of chips to dry out. Not very long, I'd think. Anything I put up now will probably be gtg by next year.

Instant karma . . . love it.

It was. I just figured if the crew is going to do me a favor then I should do one back. Any time somebody does some work around my house I offer cold drinks or coffee depending on the weather, they always appreciate it. I used to work as an EMT and there was this really cool Buddhist couple that would always tip me and my partner an apple when we brought the husband home. It wasn't about the apple, it was just that they were nice people and thought about us. That's always stuck with me.

I'm sure I got way more than $20 worth of wood today. How much wood do you think that might be? I guess somewhere between a quarter and half a cord.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I wouldn't split any of that stuff but the decision is based on time - not size. If you are 4-5yrs ahead those oak rounds will be primo. On the other hand - if that is 2015/16 fuel splitting is necessary.

Good work on securing a great wood source.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Taking the kids to school this morning, I saw a neighbor having a tree taken down in the front yard. I asked the crew if I could have some wood, they said sure. Got back home, took out the baby seats and cleaned out the back of my Explorer and headed back to the neighbor's house. They had limbs up to about 8" and down to maybe 2" in a little pile by the road. I filled up the back about halfway and that's about as far as I was going to take that load.

It's just before lunchtime, so when I was on my way back for more I asked them if they wanted some tacos. Yeah sure! $20 later, I had a couple big boxes of tacos and sodas, and all the different kinds of fresh salsa the taco shop had. Bonus... the food is great. I picked up a little more wood, and the owner of the tree service calls me over. You want some more wood? Sure, I said.

He says, right around the corner is my house. I got more wood than I know what to do with. I had a neighbor I gave wood to, and he's all full up now. He can't take anymore. If you want it, you come get some any time you want. It's all bucked up hardwood, no poplar or cottonwood, I just bring home the good stuff. Wow, thanks!

I just drove past his place and there must be four cords there. I told him my back is the limiting factor, so I'll just come by and chip away at it as I can. No problem he says. Come by any time.

Today's load is a pile of oak limbs. Hey, free wood is free wood, right? I'll take it.

A couple tacos go a long way, I guess.

area_man, you just showed what can happen when someone is not afraid to go ask. No, it won't work every time but when it does, it is sweet for sure! The tacos and beverage really topped it off and that perhaps is why the owner spoke up and now you have even more wood.

As for splitting, I see only a few that I would split. Yes, it can take a little extra time but not as much as most folks think with those small rounds. Besides, those rounds work really nice during the cold part of winter.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Status
Not open for further replies.