On using Propane for Ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
Last year there was some discussion about methods of lighting the boiler, and many folks rang in with a typical propane torch. I remember at least one poster objecting, saying that using a fossil fuel to light the fire defeated the whole purpose of burning wood. I admire idealism, but reality works for me. My boiler installation was completed in January of 2009 during one of the worst cold spells in recent times, and I've hardly burned a drop of oil since. I've gone from 800-1000 gallons of oil to 5 or 6 cords of wood, which I harvest from my woodlot behind the house. I'm generating domestic hot water year 'round, and light two fires a day during the cold months. I guess I've burned around 12 cords so far in my Tarm. I don't do my own plumbing, and my plumber gave me a recently opened 14.1 oz propane tank when he finished the project (actually MAP gas, which is a little hotter than propane). I've used it for every fire I've had in my Tarm, and thawed out the snowblower once or twice as well. I finally got the final puff out of it yesterday, and I've replaced it with a tank of propane. At somewhere around 1 oz. of propane per cord of wood, I think the fossil fuel use is perhaps less significant than my chainsaw and tractor gas, and I won't be trading them for a bucksaw and wheelbarrow any time soon.

I was trying to use only the time tested paper, kindling, match method but tried the autolite propane torch method and have used it ever since. sweetheat

I use a propane torch if I need to start the fire over. I use some small kindling from 2X4 scraps, and it takes less than 30 seconds of "torching" to get the whole fire started. I hate the smell of burning newspaper and the torch is fast and efficient. I doubt I use 1 small LP cylinder a season.

When I had a diesel pickup I would use a splash of old drain oil to get it started with just a match, but old diesel drain oil is very messy and smelly when it lights.

hr

Defeats the purpose? Ha. I use a MAPP gas torch for about 3 seconds to light my newspaper from below. I'm on my third heating season with the same bottle of MAPP gas. I'd be willing to bet that my labrador retriever's methane emissions have a more significant impact on the environment on a daily basis than using a torch to light a boiler.

I used my MAPP torch since it was just sitting there one day....will use it from now on. On marginal heating days the fire will go out sometimes esp in the afternoon due to low need thanks to the solar gain we get....when it's time to fire up again all I need to do is hold the gas flame on a charcoaled log for a few seconds and close the door....EZ PZ!

I think its Varmebaronen that gives you butane torch with your new boiler. I use propane to light my boiler. No paper, cardboard etc this just takes off in the Atmos, Randy

I still use a little thin cardboard torn up in pieces (soda & beer boxes usually, now christmas gift packaging) to get a good fire going even though this may contribute to more ash. 10 seconds of propane torch provides quick ignition to whole thing however and I would never go back to just matches or a lighter. Wish my cheap Bernzomatic had the built in striker though. The small pile of cardboard seems to be just right to warm a cold chimney and get the draft going too. A cold start takes about 20" minimum for best results for my EKO. I get a few small pieces of wood rolling hot with the lower ash door wide open. 20" later have nice bed of hot coals and water is already near or at operating temp. I'm always careful to never but in too much wood when lighting in case I would somehow get interrupted from the process and cause an overheat situation. On a cold start, I seem to have enough cold water in my UG loop to bring up to temp that this could never happen with only a few pieces of wood. The 20" gives me time to haul in another wagon load or two of wood and play fetch with the dog too.

I still use a little thin cardboard torn up in pieces (soda & beer boxes usually, now christmas gift packaging) to get a good fire going even though this may contribute to more ash. 10 seconds of propane torch provides quick ignition to whole thing however and I would never go back to just matches or a lighter. Wish my cheap Bernzomatic had the built in striker though. The small pile of cardboard seems to be just right to warm a cold chimney and get the draft going too. A cold start takes about 20" minimum for best results for my EKO. I get a few small pieces of wood rolling hot with the lower ash door wide open. 20" later have nice bed of hot coals and water is already near or at operating temp. I'm always careful to never but in too much wood when lighting in case I would somehow get interrupted from the process and cause an overheat situation. On a cold start, I seem to have enough cold water in my UG loop to bring up to temp that this could never happen with only a few pieces of wood. The 20" gives me time to haul in another wagon load or two of wood and play fetch with the dog too.

I need to light a fire everyday and I use a propane torch. As I said in a post not long ago, "there is more firepower in a 16 oz. cylinder of propane than there is in $25.00 worth of kindling." I don't bother with splitting off small strips. I just place a couple of my smallest splits over the nozzle, add a few more small splits on top, and fire the torch up through the nozzle for no more than 2 minutes with the flue booster fan running and I have a roaring fire. In fact I am going to stick my neck out and claim that it is probably cleaner than newspaper and kindling since it takes so little time from cold start to roaring fire without the paper igniting the kindling, kindling lighting the splits, .... etc.

It must be a boiler thing. I've allways used a bic for the wood stove. The torch was just sitting there when I went to light the boiler the first time and now It stays by the boiler.

I was just in home depot and they had propane torches for sale and I was thinking what could I use that for? Now I know. I am going to buy one today. Great Idea. I am always looking for news paper or something to start the fire.

I use a torch also....but I want to caution everyone. The first year I used this, I would start the fire in the bottom chamber with the torch pointing up through the nozzle so the flame lit the wood from the bottom. I would set the torch on the refractory and have it hold itself in place with the sides of the nozzle. What I accomplished was creating allot of wear on the bottom of the nozzle. The refractory doesn't take allot of "rubbing" well, so now I just hold the torch so that it doesn't touch the sides. Using the torch is the way to go, just be more careful than I was.

I'm using the fat 16 oz. cylinders because a 2 pack at Wal Mart are so cheap. They rest nicely on the U block and place the flame perfectly under the wood. The one thing that keeps running through my mind is; at my age (pushing 70), what if I forget it in there, close the door and start the gassing process? Get the picture?

The one thing that keeps running through my mind is; at my age (pushing 70), what if I forget it in there, close the door and start the gassing process? Get the picture?

Now that would give new meaning to the term "gassification".

Status
Not open for further replies.