On Windy Days, Does Your Stove Whistle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billjustbill

Dec 26, 2008
Texas
We had winds between 15-20mph with gusts to 30mph. It's a new, under two weeks old, Freedom Bay insert. Due to days in the 60's and nights in the 40's, it's had 4 medium length and size fires in it. The weather made it ideal for allowing one each night and going to coals and then cold before the next one was started. On the first or second fire, there was a rather loud metal pop/crack sound coming from the right side... it wasn't like the nomal low-key tics, clicks, and clinks.

When this last cold spell hit during the second week, wind and all, the damper was open and a fire was going, then it was closed and the bottom air adjustment was half closed. The 6" single wall liner sets about 3" above the original chimney height. As the Norther hit, the first whistle went away when I jiggled the damper. Later has the wind became stronger a few more whistles came, jiggling the damper didn't phase it. So, I opened the door and it stopped.

Winds have been much lower over the weekend and tonight, so no hint of whistles. Door seals solidly and well and no smells of smoke or that sweet smell that the old one's door let leak out when all that was left was glowing coals. Anything to be concerned about? Anything to look for?

I always apppreciate insights and comments,
Bill

Sounds like the dreaded EPA hole harmonic.
Not sure on your particular insert, but if your
air control lever slides in and out, low, on one side of the
unit, take a look at the exact opposite side to see if there's a
hole there. If there is, either try deburring it, or covering it
with a piece of aluminum tape or a small magnet.
Just may solve the problem...

Yes, sometimes. It's a familiar tune but I still haven't been able to place it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.