One addiction lends itself to another...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Well, now I find myself resorting my wood for another use, smoking. Im finding and isolating my cherry, mulberry, and some of my oak for different duties. Who would have known that my addiction would have a throw off to another addiction.

Just got done smoking 3 boston butts and 2 briskets yesterday for my birthday day party. But with the blessed rain that we got from Sir Isaac, that we sooo very much needed, had to cancel it due to the rain. But I've got leftovers for awhile now :). Oh well, we'll try it again later.

Got my chops watering like Pavlov's dogs, this thread did. And I did not hear any bells ringing, either. I respectfully submit that smokin' meats is not an addiction but is a perfection. LOL

Reactions: ScotO
The cherry seems to be a very robust flavoring in pork roasts/butt.
Never tried any Mulberry.
I typically stick with hickory as there is always a limb somewhere within 50ft of my smoker.
Of course the Pecan orchard I drive through everyday to work is never short on fallen limbs - the property owner said I could have any I wanted. Gives a much more refined sweet hint over the hickory.

Soon you'll be setting down the Schlitz and attending wine tastings

what do you use for a smoker/smokehouse, and since its nearly lunch time pictures of the brisket may be required

have you used maple wood for smoking? if so any particular kind of maple?

Dude if yer gonna smoke meat, you gotta try applewood. AH, man it's good! By far, my favorite combo for cooking on the pit is apple and white oak, or hickory and white oak, or pecan....then there's grapevine (yes, it's excellent for smoking), and maple, pear, peach.......wow, I'm hungry now! Glad I'm going to a pig roast later this afternoon!!

I don't have grapevine here, but an abundance of muscadine everywhere - I may try it on the ribs this afternoon

Well, now I find myself resorting my wood for another use, smoking. Im finding and isolating my cherry, mulberry, and some of my oak for different duties. Who would have known that my addiction would have a throw off to another addiction.

Just got done smoking 3 boston butts and 2 briskets yesterday for my birthday day party. But with the blessed rain that we got from Sir Isaac, that we sooo very much needed, had to cancel it due to the rain. But I've got leftovers for awhile now :). Oh well, we'll try it again later.
If those addictions run dry there are plenty more to choose from: wood turning, carving, etc.

1 out of 10 splits goes to carving and turning. My "do not burn" pile keeps growing.

There could be worse things to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.