One allen wrench to rule them all...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Have to share this photo:

OneAllenWrenchtoRuleThemAll.gif

I had to buy this allen wrench to replace the trans fluid in one of my cars. I couldn't believe how massive it was. :)

Yep. German 5-speed manual trans. Required a 17mm allen key or hex insert socket - the socket was only sold in a set when I went to sears, so I picked up this beastie instead. I expected it to be large - but it's enormous. Like - abnormally large feeling for something that is essentially 3/4" in size :)

Sometimes you can use a bolt with a head that matches the recesed plug hex socket.

If the plug isn't too tight. You can put half the bolt head in the plug and the other half put a wrench on.
If you need more force. Put two jam nuts on the end of the bolt and the put the whole head in the plug socket.

Ya'll might be interested...
A friend and I have been getting parts here:

http://www.autohausaz.com/index.html

The problem is that it takes a good, long time to ship from AZ to MD. Otherwise, they have been very good at getting the order right the first time. Plus, I've allowed them to keep a record of my cars and past orders. Makes it easy to find what I want to re-order.

I have a local guy that was sold out to a NY group, so my loyalty is split...still use both places.
Not advertizing...just informing.

joefrompa said:

I had to buy this allen wrench to replace the trans fluid in one of my cars. I couldn't believe how massive it was. :)
Have the same allen, VW diesel Beetle transmission drain and fill plug.

joefrompa said:

Up here showing a pic like this could stir a few folks up . . . not the pic of the Allen wrench, but rather the product used to show the scale. The former owner of that company is not universally loved up this way -- especially by hunters, trappers, snowmobilers, ATVers and many other folks.

A long passsed uncle used to work for the Nantucket- Martha's Vineyard Steamship Co.
On some of their massive engines on the ferries. He had some humongous wrenches in his cellar.

Never saw him working with regular sized tools on cars or lawn mowers though.

cottonwoodsteve said:
Sometimes you can use a bolt with a head that matches the recesed plug hex socket.

If the plug isn't too tight. You can put half the bolt head in the plug and the other half put a wrench on.
If you need more force. Put two jam nuts on the end of the bolt and the put the whole head in the plug socket.

Thanks for that info. I was looking at metric bolts the other day at TS. I think an M10 had about a 17mm head.

I guess size does matter.I have an old (early1940's) Allen set in original cloth roll & original cardboard box. The Allen Manufacturing Company,Hartford 2,Connecticut U.S.A. (Original Maker)

11 Hex Key Wrenches 3/32 to 5/8 the 5/8 is massive biggest one I ever seen.Box has some wear a small split or two thats been taped,but wrenches & cloth roll look almost new.First set I seen complete & by that maker.Pretty cool find I thought.

^^I think we may have too much "pictures or it didn't happen" stuff on this forum. But, (having said that)...
...Thistle, if you get a chance, maybe you could post one or 2. Sounds interesting.
(no pressure; just an idea).

Status
Not open for further replies.