One day of Splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I thought I could get it all done with one day's rental, but I was wrong. When I realized I wouldn't get it all done, I split the ugly rounds and left the little stuff for the axe.

Now the stacking begins....

The pile on the left is almost entirely oak. The pile on the right is cherry as are the remaining rounds. The lighter colored splits are from a few rounds of poplar I had.

BTW - I started burning a couple days ago - as it's gotten cold and we've even seen some october snow. I had one tree which I thought was a gum tree - but from looking on here - I now believe it was elm. It was nasty to split. We've been burning those first. They don't give much heat but they light easy, burn long, and put off alot of flames for viewing. They were such a pain to split - I had to noodle most of them after using the splitter and making a mess out of them. I would scounge some again. It's burning fine.

Attachments

• boo 008.jpg
    boo 008.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 467
  • boo 009.jpg
    boo 009.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 469
Sweet, not a bad days worth at all.

Been burnin last few days here also, got right nasty quick didn't it?

I think Sweet Gum is supposed to be lousy to split, so maybe you had gum after all. Sweet Gum does not grow wild here in central PA, but lots of it grows in NJ.

sweet gum is easy to split if still green and wet. sweet gum that has sat and started 'checking' is a b*tch to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.